How did you learn how to fish?

Jamie Thornton

So how did you all learn how to fish and how/what got you into it? My Dad got me into fishing when I was 10. I got my first Carp (approx 1lb) and I was amazed. Then 4 trips later I got my PB 6lb 4oz which got me hooked!!! I then bought loads of books and videos and watched Discovery Home & Leisure to get me a little more advanced. I owned a few fishing videos by John Wilson and some odd books here and there ten I started to Collect The Art Of Fishing. Does anyone else own this because if you havent you must get it - its really good! However it got stopped by my newsagent because people werent picking them up and I couldnt be bothered anymore but now I do which is why I'm asking if anyone has it to sell in the Wanted forum - hehe!

much the same for coarse fishing, dad taught me the basics and I added the newer stuff on top. Nothing to beat sitting with the old man beside the lake chatting. (I hope my 3 kids think the same in 30 years!) Fly I taught myself, hence crap at it, but with helpful tips from other anglers, probably worried they were gonna get a viva round the back of the head! Sea fishing, books and an old friend of the family who used to take me and a friend out on his boat, again very good times. Beach fishing, self taught, using a cheap and nasty boat rod, now trying to learn as much as I can with a decent, (for me), rod and reel setup.

By the way, anyone got any tips on how to cast a decent distance but still avoid overruns with a multiplier? I have almost given up and returned to the fixed spool full time again... :mad: :mad:

My dad knows about as much as my dog when it comes to fishing. Matt Hayes and Bob Nudd taught me how to fish. When i say this i mean reading their books and watching videos. Not to mention telivision. It just interested me (mainly all the species) so i found out how to catch them all!

Regards

Ed 'Herefords bagging machine'

www.kingfisher-club.vze.com

Self taught from age 19 - much reading & watching other anglers.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Like many on here I'm sure, I was inspired by that seminal of all fishing texts 'Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing'. My Dad had got me interested - I was first taken night fishing at the age of 3 - but he died when I was 6. I was left his 1952 copy of Mr C. which I still have and which stood as my angling education for a number of years....

Ah! Memories

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I know its considered blasphemy in some circles, but I thought Mr Crabtree was vastly overated when I was a lad (35 years ago). Although I've got the books, most of the advise was very simplistic, and there was nothing really new in it. I feel the real attraction of the books is that they portray a nice world, which doesn't exist any more and probably never did.

Old BV had a big thing about new developments in angling, like the fixed spool real which he hated, and i think that totally blinkered him.

My big influences were people like Dick Walker, Fred Wagstaff, Bob Reynolds - really imaginative anglers who developed new methods and styles of fishing. They weren't afraid to use new methods and develope different approaches

I agree, Richard Walker was and still is incredibly thought provoking and a huge inspiration in my angling life.

Paul

self taught walked past the river one day and thought i'd give it a go.

Went and bgot a kit, got a licence and a pint of mix never looked back that was about 15 years ago - still got the rod ,the wife uses it now :D and what i didn't know or picked up i read about