Do you use a special reel for feeder fishing?

larsagi2010

But then why use a quiver tip at all?

Well in my case I'm not likely to get much use from out and out tench rods or something of similar ilk and I'm much the same a Dales and Larsagi. I just like the freedom to have a gander around or make a cup of tea...anything that distracts you from watching the tip on long sessions.

I also change rigs when the sun comes up properly and the tench bugger off till things cool down. I can switch to roach and rudd in a jiffy and back again, if I see tench activity. I'm not buying/setting up numerous rods, all geared for one species, when the one/two rods and a change of end tackle will do. That's just collecting rods for the sake of having them. There was once a time when folk owned one rod and caught all kinds of species.

It probably won't be long before someone produces a gudgeon rod and I won't be buying one... :rolleyes:

When the roach and rudd are on, then I'll sit and stare at the tip.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the shear fun of watching the tip swing around. When ledgering I always fish multiple rod set ups, be it 2, 3 or 4 rods and with the best will in the world you can not watch every rod at the same time. While playing a fish on one rod, it's good to know that any bites on your other rods will be registered. Granted you can drop the quivertip and fish an alternative rod but why settle for one form of bite indication when you can have two. I will often start on the alarms and if things pick up with confident bites and plenty of action then I switch the alarm off and just watch the tip but on long sessions it just makes sense to have the added bite indication.

To be honest it's a bit of a hang over from using standard roller alarms for specimen fishing on long sessions. Using a tip gave better bite indication because I would often pick up little knocks on a quiver tip that would not register on a roller style alarm. When I upgraded to Delkims it was the opposite the alarms now gave extra info on subtle bits before the tip even registers.

I have stuck with the system because I believe it offers the best of both worlds, however the sensativity of Delkims does wipe out the benefit of the tip but it's hard to beat seeing a tip fly around. But if I had to fish with roller alarms then I would certainly opt for quiver tip rods.

Hmmm! Well 4 rods, 4 reels, 4 Delkins alarms, 2 licenses...Are they Delkins plus TXi's bite alarms?

:bigemo_harabe_net-195: :bigemo_harabe_net-195: :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

Hats off for the wealthy angler in our midst...You're not an investment banker or a MP are you by any chance...

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hmmm! Well 4 rods, 4 reels, 4 Delkins alarms, 2 licenses...

:bigemo_harabe_net-195: :bigemo_harabe_net-195: :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

Hats off for the wealthy angler in our midst...You're not an investment banker or a MP are you by any chance...

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Treasury Manager in the NHS, Yes I know why do the NHS waste money on such positions :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Treasury Manager in the NHS, Yes I know why do the NHS waste money on such positions :D

I will not make a comment on an individuals job/employment on an open forum...

hehehe...but I will say I have just been going through the results of some long term audit papers concerning the NHS and a wastage figure (including unnecessary management positions) which may well result in a massive saving, sorry cant say more...

:bangin: :bangin: :bangin:

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163::busted_cop::offtopic:

Now let me work this out

4 x barder hand built special order built cane rods

4 x Lythe hand built special order reels

2 x spare Lythe reels

4 x Delkin plus TXi bite alarms

2 x licenses

4 wire free wireless headsets for distance bite alarms

hands free wrist portable cctv to check if rods are o.k.

underwater camera's

4 x radio controlled bait boats

fish seeking underwater radar

3 cwt groundbait per week

radio controlled helicopter with infra red camera and deep penetration motion detectors

Hmmm! That's more than the average disabled person gets in over 10 years...Hmmm!...hehehe

Edited by watatoad

Back on topic after a blast of silliness pretending to be humour.

Personally although I do have a couple of bait runners, I usually use a non bait running fixed spool reel or a centrepin for feeder work.

I turn the clutch almost off and simply clamp a finger or my other hand on the reel spool when striking, its always worked for me...

But I do only ever use one (1) rod...hehehe...I would be in a right pickle if I was trying to use two (2) rods...not too good at striking and manipulating reels with my feet...hehehe

But I do only ever use one (1) rod...hehehe...I would be in a right pickle if I was trying to use two (2) rods...not too good at striking and manipulating reels with my feet...hehehe

One rod are you mad?

Do anglers still fish with just one rod :D

One rod fishing, never heard of such a crazy thing.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

One rod are you mad?

Do anglers still fish with just one rod :D

One rod fishing, never heard of such a crazy thing.

Maybe one rod is the secret why some anglers don't often miss bites...hehehe

Older anglers trick use one rod...hehehe

Maybe old age prevents some of us coping with more, we just cant concentrate on any more...hehehe

Maybe one rod is the secret why some anglers don't often miss bites...hehehe

Older anglers trick use one rod...hehehe

Maybe old age prevents some of us coping with more, we just cant concentrate on any more...hehehe

I don't have a problem with missed bites, my problem is with getting the bites full stop :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

There was a time when I went fishing with a spinning rod for just about everything and I did alright with it too. I could leger, feeder fish, fish a sliding waggler at reasonable distance, spin, plug...whatever. The fish didn't know I was fishing with a spinning rod.

If I ever had to sell up, that's the rod I'd leave myself with because I know I could do it all again and still show up a lot of so-called know-alls.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

However I HATE alarms along with Bait Boats Brollies Bivvys Bolt Rigs and anything else beginning with 'B' apart from all things Bristol of course :D

A bit short sighted I think Teme Man.But what I do HATE is the use of all the above without any thought! Like a lot of things in angling they are extremely useful in the correct situation and as such a valid addition to any all round anglers armoury.Trouble for me though is that its all many know/use/want to use...............

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!