Why kill Zander?

Peter Waller

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Just get rid of non indiginus predators.

[ 25 May 2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Ferret1959 ]

Ferret1959:

Just get rid of non indiginus predators.

Spot of bias and discrimination creeping in here Ferret!

P.S. Carp are caught on spinners, popular technique in Holland, so that means they are predators! Kill kill kill kill kill

All you that think that it is rite to kill any fish are stupid. you may not have thought that if we (anglers) put areselfs across as killers then we will not have a hobby for much longer.

anyway it wasn't the zanders fault they got into are rivers it was whoever put them theres fault why not kill them?

the zander my kill fish, and we may have too many preds in are waters but killing them is not the answer. good idea though to introduce a zander killer but we are solving a problem by causeing another problem. i m sure that the zander will live n peace soon just like all the other fish we have introduced.

cant someone pump several thousand gallons of neat sewage into the river that will sort those nasty zander/vampire fish out once and for all.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hiya Chestrs1

I wondered where you were.

I suppose that the Zander, having come from Europe will soon be finding there way through the channel tunnel, therefore we can expect the Government to dig out new stretches of water for them and chuck em a few roach now and then and when they run out and more are needed well have to pay more taxes to cover the cost, or what do you think?

i expect there trying to get the huge zander pond near calaise closed and will take all its inmates (all at once or in truck loads ) ensuring that the english "silver" fish who have been on the "pond" waiting list for years never get one of their own

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Peter Waller:

Seems that for once I have asked a reasonable question! Or atleast the replies are reasonable!

Re barbel being introductions. I believe that, recently, some scientist type has claimed / proved that the Barbel was indigenous throughout England so its only being re-introduced. There is talk of pushing for their re-introduction into the Broads as that is the case - please.

Pete re. barbel and their indigenousness

First one must agree a starting point for a species to be classed as indigenous.

The most widely accepted starting point is the ecological one, which may surprise you to know, dates back only15-18,000 years ago. The reason for this is that it’s the end of the last ice age, which at its epoch covered most of the UK with a 1000 metres of ice down to the Trent Valley. For some reasons, not yet clear, an ice-free spur ran up from the southeast and into the Yorkshire rivers.

Given that the last ice age lasted approximately 10k, little in the way of any ecological life survived under this big freeze at ground level. Hence why the ecological starting point is the most accepted one.

As an aside and just to confuse matter even more, before the last ice age, it’s likely that Zander were present in the UK, as it was part of the European landmass where this species was and still is present.

Taking the above into account, it may well be that barbel were present in some of the Norfolk rivers at the ecological starting point but have died out since. So yes, you would be reintroducing a native and indigenous fish into those rivers.

However, as I wrote in my first post, they were/are not indigenous to the North and West of the Trent Valley for the reasons already stated.

phil h.

as you know nature has a way of sorting things out (its called the foxes and rabbit syndrome) thats ofcourse if things are allowed to act naturally ,the world has revolved for millions of years before the first cave geezer carved a bone into a hook,it may be natures way that all fish die out in a stretch of water, if left to nature will come back ,some of the fossil teeth i collect come from brackish/fresh water living sharks ,zander compared to them are small fry,

all this fuss about the earth warming up is hooey ,a small hill near me (the hogs back) one end is composed of sandstone (a desert)the other is chalk (water) the world has changed thousands of times in its existance were warming up but warming up from what? the last ice age ????before that ice age it was warmer.a few zander its small fry to what nature has got up its sleeve :)

I have never caught or even seen a Zander but if its a fish and I catch one its going back in. I cant believe people who claim to be anglers, can on the one hand, be against hunting, keep nets ban this, ban that etc and yet could kill a fish for the sake of it. I read this site most days and it often amazes me how many people can be so wrapped up in one type of fish and treat the rest of them as vermin. Self interest is the reason. I'm an angler and I catch fish.

P.S. I am not pro hunting and I'm not anti hunting. In fact like Zander I've never seen a hunt so I can't decide, can I?

Dave :mad: