NIGHT FISHING

Janet

If you go with red or green light you will not have the massive bug problems.

Might end up with another problem if she starts flashing a red light around :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Janet - a standard night fishing technique from a boat over here is to drop a waterproof light in the water and tie it off at 2-3 ft deep or more depending on conditions. It attracts microscopic and near microscopic water dwellers which in turn attracts bait fish which in turn attracts preds.

You then fish near the light.

You could probably get some of the same effect by shining a light into the water for a while.

Go to www.basspro.com and search for 'fishing lights' (without the quotes) and see the range we have available. The "Black Light" versions are UV and bear in mind that the boats will have an auto-size 12v battery on board to provide power.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Are fish really affected that much by light at night? I was researching on the Internet for night floats, and I found a few advertised as actually attracting fish? Is this right, or is this just advertising fantasy?

I dont really think its the actual light that spooks fish on a quiet water, it's when someone keeps walking in front of it or keeps moving or flashing it around on the bank, or keeps switching it on and off all the time. I am sure that fish are sometimes attracted by it (as Newt says) however if the fish are at all unsure of it, it can have the reverse effect.

When I demonstrated the difference it can make on a small Carp pond to a friend of mine he couldn't believe how close the Carp came up right under his feet, wheras when he had his light on they would always stay just outside of the beam and he would see ripples but not always what was causing them.

On waters where there is often people walking around at night or cars passing nearbye it probably has little effect as they get used to it.

We did experiment for a few weeks with a small isotope attatched to the lead to see if it attracted fish close to the bait and give us more bites. It didn't seem to affect the amount of bites we had but it certainly didn't seem to frighten them. leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)