NIGHT FISHING

Janet

Most of the star tips last at least 6 hours, so you should be OK

I prefer the little Starlite SL-5 (in red) that come in a packet of two. They are a better match to the diameter of "normal" sized float tips, just push the tube on the tip of the same float you were already fishing with when it goes dark. I don't reckon you'll get six hours out of them, whatever it says on the packet!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headtorches are great, but it's a bit of a pain when you switch it on to rebait and the moths start flying into your face!!! I keep thinking one of those clip on jobs would be good. Just clip it to the jacket or waistcoat.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

Well, so far we’ve had bats, rats, foxes, unidentified flying things, mozzies, demons in the night, ghosts, flesh-eating zombies, stray Jehovahs Witnesses, mice, adders, flesh-eating otters, giant spiders and stray Evangelists, slugs and eels.

Anybody want to add any more to the list to REALLY scare me? :wallbash:

Bunch of muppets!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, many thanks for all the advice. I particularly liked John S’s suggestion of attaching starlights to the rod tip. I can see how that would work, and I will be trying it if I find out I’m going boggle-eyed staring at my float! I’m still intending to float fish, and I will be staying awake all night. Bivvies and bite alarms don’t do it for me. Well, I’ll try and stay awake, if Paul’s singing doesn’t send me off….. :P

Thanks also for the tip about the slugs you two. Funnily enough, I noticed a few under my seat and my rod bag when I was packing up on Saturday, but it hadn’t occurred to me that they may be a problem. I’m prepared now! As for rats? Someone has offered to lend me a battery operated ultra-sonic rodent deterrent. It does help if you work for the Council and have contacts!

Eels? Well, to the best of my knowledge there aren’t any in the lake, but I’d love it if there were. I haven’t caught an eel yet….I think they’re fascinating creatures, and I’d love to land one. Yes, really!

All being well, and if the weather’s kind to us, I’ll be here as the sun goes down on Friday night.

Kingfisheratnight.jpg

Janet

Kingfisheratnight.jpg

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Well i had the territorial army scare the proverbial out of me one night. I knew the water like the back of my hand night or day. One night i noticed a new bush had been planted 20 minutes later this bush had moved about 80 yds side ways. Then i could here very faint noises more muttering. I use to carry a huge 5 mill cande torch for emergency (no night vision left for a year if i had to use it)

Sjone it around to be yelled at to turn the light off (i had the lake to myself when i started) Then six squaddies popped up next to me """"have you caught much mate""""i almost fell in with shock.

Morale of story take a dog to stand guard if your on your own.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I'm hoping that Paul will bring Max with him to protect us, or at least pretend to!

He's the sloppiest, most cuddly and dopiest Rotweiller you have ever seen. He's more likely to lick an intruder to death than to cause him any damage!

He looks a a bit scary, but if you'd seen him trying to catch the frogs in the margins, and chase the coots, you'd soon realise that he's no threat to human safety! The puzzled look on his face as he was trying to locate the frogs croaking was an absolute picture.

Janet

Headtorches are great, but it's a bit of a pain when you switch it on to rebait and the moths start flying into your face!!!

If you go with red or green light you will not have the massive bug problems.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Wow, top tip. Cheers Newt.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

Thanks for the tip Newt. Luckily my head torch has a red light.

Are fish really affected that much by light at night? I was researching on the Internet for night floats, and I found a few advertised as actually attracting fish? Is this right, or is this just advertising fantasy?

I'm going to listen to the other tips also, and try not to use my torch unless absolutely necessary. I notice that it's a new moon though, so there may not be a lot of moonlight to see by, and I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable sitting in total darkness. I'll do my best though, but at the first sound rustling in the bushes I'll probably have the head torch on, maglight and possibly set fire to Paul for a bit of extra visibility.....

Janet