Swingtip Revival

Elton

Toady's lesson one - in winning your granddad around -

Ask him when he's going to take you fishing to show you how he used to do it.

Lesson two -

Ask him if he can show you how to make floats.

You can only ask...hehehe

I must have done something right because hes just said he would love to see his stuff used again .

but He says he will sit behind me telling what i should and shouldnt be doing :nono: doh!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even better! what a great chance to learn,

I am looking forward to it really

he hasnt fished for 35 years and im only 38 so i didnt get to see him fish even thou i certainly heard some good stuff

i was spoilt enough thou having my dad teach me and my grandad has always said that my dad should have fished for england , sadly my dad passed away tragically 15 years ago but i learnt what i could from him . Ive only started competing in the last 4 years after many years of pleasure

fishing and my grandad is excited again to see how well i can do

I will try my best and above all enjoy it

I am looking forward to it really

he hasnt fished for 35 years and im only 38 so i didnt get to see him fish even thou i certainly heard some good stuff

i was spoilt enough thou having my dad teach me and my grandad has always said that my dad should have fished for england , sadly my dad passed away tragically 15 years ago but i learnt what i could from him . Ive only started competing in the last 4 years after many years of pleasure

fishing and my grandad is excited again to see how well i can do

I will try my best and above all enjoy it

I hope you and your granddad have many great times and great catches ahead.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

now being a relatively "young'un" (23) i have never heard or seen of swingtip fishing but after reading through all 9 pages of this post i find myself rather excited by it. sadly i do not have a screw in feeder rod to adapt for it, so i am on the look out for a decent reasonably priced ready to go jobby any ideas? also i get the impression its a bit of a pain to cast with? what is a better approach under arm or over? and if so is there a technique to master as well?

cheers

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

If you over head cast its easy to tangle but a gentle side cast causes no problems. As for rods they certainly arnt as easy to find as they used to be as a soft through action of arond 9' is best. However replacing an end eye for one with a screw in adapter is a couple of minutes job.

These aint to bad Ian-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHAKESPEARE-OMNI-X-L...=item5ad3512a43

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

now being a relatively "young'un" (23) i have never heard or seen of swingtip fishing but after reading through all 9 pages of this post i find myself rather excited by it. sadly i do not have a screw in feeder rod to adapt for it, so i am on the look out for a decent reasonably priced ready to go jobby any ideas? also i get the impression its a bit of a pain to cast with? what is a better approach under arm or over? and if so is there a technique to master as well?

cheers

REPLY:

Firstly there are several video's/DVD's still around that show the use of the swingtip - underarm or as most prefer a sidecast. Most tackle shops should be able to help you with a screw in fitting on top ring. failing that - cash converters - boot sales - charity shops - ebay

If you over head cast its easy to tangle but a gentle side cast causes no problems. As for rods they certainly arnt as easy to find as they used to be as a soft through action of arond 9' is best. However replacing an end eye for one with a screw in adapter is a couple of minutes job.

I have a feeling this might be a fairly young person asking Budgie and not everyone has a workshop or knows how to start pulling bits off rods and sticking other bits on them.

cheers

p.m. on its way.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

These aint to bad Ian-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHAKESPEARE-OMNI-X-L...=item5ad3512a43

isnt it hard to get accurate casting without doing it overhead ?

or is it something that you can master with practice and then it becomes natural ?

Casting directly over head is good for getting accuracy easily but its a very (IMO) ineffective way of achieving any distance easily! I cast with the rod to one side most of the time and over the years accuracy has just developed naturally.The true "side cast" you really need to use to avoid tangles with a swing tip isn't particularly accurate but once again with practice.....

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!