Swingtip Revival

Elton

That would be the shiznit Toady.

I quite liked the one I had (might be up the loft or something...who knows?) and it served the purpose perfectly. I didn't have measurements to go by right enough. Mine was just a guess but I dare say there's an ideal length that someone else has already tested.

I'd like to try one again.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt the Sidewinder is the better indicator but I fancy a bit of nostalgia and something fairly easy to botch together. I also quite the idea of baffling folk on the bank.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I had a butt indicator in this very room a couple of days ago, took it out of the old bag it was in and it was bust, so I binned it (I think). I'd had it since I was a kid, but hadn't used it in years.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Ah, swingtips. Fond memories from me too. And constant tangles when the line looped round over the rod or the tip.

I recall fishing for tench with tips and optonics as well. Can't recall why now, probably for drop backs/runs as the early buzzers didn't tell you whuch way. Mind you, do new ones? I've no idea.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

For anyone interested there are a couple of pukka tip rods on fleabay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you look at the sellers other items there are also a couple of bean poles for the cane lovers

Edited by tincatinca

I still like to have the odd trip at a couple of local lakes primarily for Tench using the swing tips. There are a couple of reed fringed margin swims on one particular lake where they work superbly and give great indication of what is happening beneath the water. Can be very exciting fishing with the tip and well worth trying if you have not done it before. I have a few rods with threaded tip rings but the ones that I generally use are my old Daiwa Avons which lovely for playing fish on. Have to keep the anti reverse on the reels off though as sometimes the the bites are reel churners which crtainly gets the adrenalin flowing.

hello im new on this site but i will soon get upto speed . just thought id jump into this topic as id compleatly forgotten about the swingtip , im only 38 but when i started being taut by my dad who was a great match angler 25yrs ago it was all about the waggler and swingtip and caterpaulting big balls out . i remember the casting had to be dead smooth or youd wack straight down in front of you , and it was an art. i do alot of match fishing myself now using pole and quiver and the quiver is the best method for alround match fishing when carp are the main target and you cant afford tangles, but i do still think theres a use for the swingtip and thats in winter when bites are few and far between , i reckon the presentation you can achieve is better as you can leave the line looser between end of rod and bomb meaning the line can lay on the bottom rather than being tight to tip and more likely to spook weary fish, also the fish do inspect bait more in winter and will expell the hook if they feel the slightest tension.I think the swingtip is a lovely way of seeing and detecting small bites. Thanks for getting me thinking on this , im gonna try my old swingtip out in the upcoming weeks and see what happens . i will certainly use it at a match at old bury hill later this month for the bream,cheers

Welcome to AN Tony :)

Thinking about it, I do still regularly use a swingtip for bream, but these days I clip it to the front rod rest rather than the end of the rod B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music