Barbel Fishing

Elton

I'm going here in just under two weeks, spending a week fishing. Bliss!

Now, I can count the number of barbel I've caught on one finger, so could do with some help.

What do I need to take for a week? I've got a once-used barbel rod kicking around somewhere, so that'll do, but what other tackle and bait is needed?

tia,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm going here in just under two weeks, spending a week fishing. Bliss!

Now, I can count the number of barbel I've caught on one finger, so could do with some help.

What do I need to take for a week? I've got a once-used barbel rod kicking around somewhere, so that'll do, but what other tackle and bait is needed?

tia,

Elton

There is a bait that probably isn't used a great deal these days but I used to find it deadly on the Kennet. Perhaps it might be new to those fish and so worth a try.

I am sure that you have heard of Sausage Paste it is what was widely used before people began using luncheon meat. I used to buy some beef sausages and I also bought some sausage rusk - I presume that you can still get it? Boil the sausages and then take the skins off them. Knead the meat into a ball adding sausage rusk until you have a nice firm paste that will stay on the hook and you have a good bait.

I used to fish swims that had strings of rananculus (sp?) weed in them and let my ledger and bait settle along side the beds of weed. The barbel tend to lay under it and are able to take your bait without exposing themselves. I found night time on the Kennet to be the best time but as dawn was approaching I would often pick up a nice chub too. I generally got about half a dozen barbel during the course of the night.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

If you want I can show you some good pegs along the river and pin point to where to drop the bait and might get you at least a 12lb+ (more if you night fish!)

For baitwise - micro pellets and maggots have always work for me!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Guest Rabbit

Right on my doorstep Elton, probably could not have chosen a better venue to start the season. In the past some real lumps have been taken here,especially early on.

A 14lb barbel you should expect!! and rig up accordingly, they will not be too fussy early on, so a belt and braces approach would be my choice.

Hope the weather behaves and you have a memorable trip...and don't forget to visit a couple of Estate Agents between all the rod bending action. :D

Cheers, guys. On the reel front, will my Shimano 8010's, loaded with 15lb mono, be okay? Or is that overkill?

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Cheers, guys. On the reel front, will my Shimano 8010's, loaded with 15lb mono, be okay? Or is that overkill?

I've never fished the warwickshire Avon but I would think that 15lb is a bit of an overkill as we use lines between 8lb and 12lb on the Upper Great Ouse and we only normally use the 12lb line when we are fishing floods with large leads but if you are using a finer mono/braid hooklength with a backlead to keep it pinned to the bed you may get away with your 15lb main line, but I would prefer to take a couple of lighter spools (8lb & 10lb) if I was fishing there.

I hardly ever need to use a backlead as I am usually trundling a bait along the bottom for them using either Sausage-meat/rusk, Spicey Luncheonmeat or Halibut pellets with 8lb to 10lb line tied directly to the hook to reduce any weak spots caused by extra knots.

As for your reels they will easily cope, we use Shimano 4000 and 5000 size reels with no problems (or Centrepins).

It sounds like a brilliant Holiday spot, bet you can't wait. :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

It sounds like a brilliant Holiday spot, bet you can't wait. :)

You could say that :D

I can't remember the last time I had a whole week dedicated to fishing - I was probably about 12.....but I do know that I'm as excited now as I was then :D

Guest tigger

Elton don't forget to take Luncheon meat along with your other baits as it really is as good if not better than any IMO that is.

good luck !

Good luck Elton, that is if you don't eat the sausage meat before the fish get a chance :rolleyes::D

Wasn't there an AN fish-in there before? It looks familiar for some reason.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music