Best knot for eyed hooks + swivels

davedave

Same here!

C.

Are the palomar and grinner knots best suited for specimen fishing using heavier lines ?

From a match fishing perspective using light tech lines and small hooks it seems that these 2 knots would leave a poor hook presentation as the line is not whipped along the shank .

I know specimen anglers use all sorts of clever stuff like shrink tubing to set a good hook angle and they take time and are creative , so i can see those knots being better.

I am pretty limited with knots and only find the need for figure of 8 loops and knotless knot and stop knots , these are very fast to make knots and ideal in match fishing environment im no expert and i know you know your stuff so anything you say will be usefull

Edited by tony tinca

Palomar for line to eyed hooks (below size 16 it's tricky unless the hooklength is very fine). For mainline/hooklength to swivels I tie loops and join them that way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

For the smaller species I normally use a half blood knot, plenty strong enough and a habit I can't break. The only exception is when I'm using certain mono hooklength materials that slip under pressure with a blood knot, and I then use a grinner. I have to be careful tying a grinner in light lines though, as it can make a bit of it curly, and you don't want that.

For the bigger/harder fighting species with heavier line and various types of braid hooklengths, it's always a grinner.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Isn't the grinner a strangulation knot?

If so its not good for mono, kryston tell you to use it for braid as it always tightens, this can cut mono into itself and cause snap offs.

Half blood for mono. grinner or the 'Rapala' knot for braid.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

If so its not good for mono, kryston tell you to use it for braid as it always tightens, this can cut mono into itself and cause snap offs.

Personally I've always found the "strangulation"/ "twice through the eye to avoid it" lark of Dave's to be rubbish! Theory may be correct (I don't know) but in actual practice with mono lines from under 1lb to over 50lb Ive found it not to matter a jot! The Grinner has NEVER let me down as long as with all knots you tie it correctly and lubricate it before tightening.

Also with braid Ive never found the "twice through the eye" to be necessary either.In fact I think its bad advice as no matter how well you tie it under extreme pressure the second loop of line through the eye often "rolls over" the first and this can lead to the line "cutting down" on it self.Give it a try with some heavy gear pulled tight then examined and you will see what I mean.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think half the time, especially in magazines, its just a case of the next great knot being written about for the sake of it. Knots such as the knotless, blood, palomar, uni and grinner are all time greats and in standard situations they cover everything.

I don't often use Grinner knots so can't comment however the blood knot you say you use is a strangulation knot.

I use Palomars for hooks and swivels most of the time, 100% reliable for me.