BROWNING REVOLVER

watatoad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I would imagine I must be well up the list for my Chris Lythe by now would it help anyone if I except delivery and then if I have problems with line bedding in due to the caged spool would sell it on for what the purchase cost was as long as collected rather than using fleebay with all its fees.

It was going to be engraved so will need to know how much interest there is so I can stop him doing it.

The spec. was 41/2" diameter 1" wide, tighter ratchet for stalking, removable line guard, Scotton long Trotter with Ajp delux extra spool. Ratchet was by button but may change to rim lever anyway. I know I chose grey anodised but cant remember handle type or position.

That probably stands you at about £700 then? Yes I'd be interested but like Tigger I doubt you'll want to sell it once you have it. I've always wondered about spare drums for centrepins, my thoughts have been that the drum hub and pin should 'bed in' together during use, swapping drums starts the process again and if the pin has worn to a particular drum it's not a good thing to swap. On the other hand the pin is much harder material than the drum hub so provided both drums have been matched to the backplate during assembly (which I'm sure CL does) it shouldn't be a problem.

Where's Worms when you need him, he'll know.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Sorry Rusty was deffo first and it was him that but the thought into my head.

You either have to have the spare spool made at the same time or send the reel back if your having a spool made at a later date. I have a Purist, B.J., and a B.J. Lightweight which all seem to be able to be swopped without any problem at all even though they have seen varied use and are different in age. However, they are mass produced.

If Mr Lythe's service would have been better or changing the order didnt put me back to the bottom of the weighting list I would have changed it to two complete reels.

Post #13 constitutes a reply I think :P:D

Aye it does but only for a name swap on the waiting list, :P ...lol, was a good try though, and Im know barmy wont sell it after seeing it, as Ian says, I saw most of CL's reels when I visited him and I was drooling but after the thought of waiting 2.5 years I decided against it as I wanted mine sooner rather than later.

Unpatient folk are anglers....lol

Im more than happy with the near 30 reels I have nowadays anyway, Im on thin ice with the mrs if I buy another ;)

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

I have a Purist, B.J., and a B.J. Lightweight which all seem to be able to be swopped without any problem at all even though they have seen varied use and are different in age.

The reason for that BB is that they're all ballraced reels, the ballrace dimensions are a standard size and should be identical (indeed they can be replaced with aftermarket items) so the pins in each reel must be machined to fit those ballraces every time. Swapping different drums to backplates should work ok provided the drum widths are the same, the actual pin itself shouldn't wear at all.

Slightly different with a non-ballraced 'pin which might have seen a bit of wear, hence the reason for manufacturing spare drums with the reel or having the backplate to match a spare drum to.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up such an old post but just wanted to report that the Chris Lythe reels I ordered have still not arrived and no contact from Chris at all.

Only a year late now! Not bad seeing he quoted mine being made within a month when I rang him last January.

Sorry to bring up such an old post but just wanted to report that the Chris Lythe reels I ordered have still not arrived and no contact from Chris at all.

Only a year late now! Not bad seeing he quoted mine being made within a month when I rang him last January.

That's the only problem with CL's reels, you could well have dried up and blown away in the wind before your reels ready :lol:

I must addmitt it ain't funny waiting all that time and being told it'll be ready in a few weeks everytime you speak to him....very nice reels though and when you speak to Chris he's such a nice chap you can't give him any grief :mellow:

That and long delays is why I do not rate the Chris Lythe reels and especially his service, he has developed owning one into more of a cult of ownership and patience.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

That and long delays is why I do not rate the Chris Lythe reels and especially his service, he has developed owning one into more of a cult of ownership and patience.

I can understand you not rating his service with the long wait and all, but how can you not rate his reels ? Imo there as good as a pin can get.