Carrying a knife when going fishing

beaver27

Not true, while flick knives certainly are illegal, locking blades are perfectly OK if you can provide proof it's needed, carrying a locking bladed knife while fishing (or shooting, or working as a carpet fitter etc etc) would be absolutely fine, carrying that same knife into the pub after fishing wouldn't be so good.

Knives with 3 inch blades or less, with non locking or slip joint actions are legal carry without having to show a valid reason, longer blades and locking blades, even fixed blades come to that need a valid reason to be carried in public, but aren't illegal per se.

Sorry, did not quite make myself clear on this..... Lock Knives can be deemed offensive weapons if they are intended to be so, where as flick knives are MADE to be offensive weapons and are illegal full stop. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have one of those fold-away saw blades in my bag that could reduce your face to mangled shreds. It isn't a knife, so probably perfectly legitimate.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I always carry a multi tool which has a knife blade on

Was thinking of getting a decent filleting knife for cutting up deadbaits.....IIRC those have quite long blades though (definately more than 3 inches)

I have always carried a filleting knife whilst deadbaiting, sharp enough to shave with. And whilst sailing I carry a US Vietnam bit of nastiness that is great for rope work. Both, in the wrong hands, would be lethal. For me they are tools, but maybe I shall have to reconsider carrying them, even if their use is currently reasonable.

The only knife I carry when going out fishing is the filleting knife when cutting deadbait up when piking.

It is common sense is not to show your knife in a public area as you're reliable to be nicked. In a fishery is to cut up what ever you want to cut and put the knife back in the bag where it belongs where others angler or bystanders can't see it.

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I have carried a small penknife with me since I was about 10 or 12, i,me now 61. I have no intention to stop now.

Get out the handcuffs.

same here and am 64 the only place I don't carry it is when going on holiday on a plane, which by the way is next week :thumbs:

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

'Sensible policing'! I beleive its called an oxymoron. Like 'American Inteligence'.

Anyone know any more!

Funny Barry!

I carry this. I have carried it and various knives like it for 20 years. After reading this thread I asked an MOD policeman who said even if it flicks open it's not likely illegal. He gave me the impression that it was up to the discretion of the officer who questions it, though I am only speculating. If there is no boundary then how can you police it reliably?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Funny Barry!

I carry this. I have carried it and various knives like it for 20 years. After reading this thread I asked an MOD policeman who said even if it flicks open it's not likely illegal. He gave me the impression that it was up to the discretion of the officer who questions it, though I am only speculating. If there is no boundary then how can you police it reliably?

MOD Policemen have the finest Gate watching abilitys of any police force in the known world other than that I wouldnt listen too much, flick, Rachett and bullet type knives are a good nick for any self respecting Copper.and almost undefendable in court

Having one indoors as part of a collection is strangley OK if it is an antique, The laws surrounding offensive weapons are a bit bewildering, But fall into three main catagorys they are Made,Adapted and Intended. Flick and bullet knives in a public area would be arrestable under the first catagory, Lash your grandads pipe smokers knife to a stick you would be nicked under the third Catagory, Beat the granny out of some one with a clump of Rhubab your nicked under the second.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Chives are fine Jeff, most of the Kershaw assisted openers are legal, cos they're not actually 'flick' or 'gravity' openers