Prowla Platinum Drop Shot 7ft 5-28g - Anyone got one?

Hopinc

Just ordered a few more bits! It's very addictive this, and I don't even have the rod yet.

Look at these little beauties, I can't imagine a perch being able to resist (they are 3.5" long):

3.5-swimbait-naturalshad.jpg

BTW you can also get drop shot swivels which are cheap, and means that you can attach any old cheap weight without worrying about losing lots of expensive 'proper' weights. Ordered a few of them :)

Also now have the flourocarbon on order. I went for Riverge Grand Max soft plus, which is 6.6lb but only 0.165mm. Hopefully it'll be a reasonable compromise between strength and subtlety (6.6lb is the lightest they do).

Thanks for that reply Steve, I'm hoping it's not that size specific as I'd like to get plenty of bites to get my confidence up. Then hopefully find the bigger fish by changing locations rather than method/technique/lures.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just ordered a few more bits! It's very addictive this, and I don't even have the rod yet.

Look at these little beauties, I can't imagine a perch being able to resist (they are 3.5" long):

3.5-swimbait-naturalshad.jpg

BTW you can also get drop shot swivels which are cheap, and means that you can attach any old cheap weight without worrying about losing lots of expensive 'proper' weights. Ordered a few of them :)

Also now have the flourocarbon on order. I went for Riverge Grand Max soft plus, which is 6.6lb but only 0.165mm. Hopefully it'll be a reasonable compromise between strength and subtlety (6.6lb is the lightest they do).

Thanks for that reply Steve, I'm hoping it's not that size specific as I'd like to get plenty of bites to get my confidence up. Then hopefully find the bigger fish by changing locations rather than method/technique/lures.

I am sure you will Anderoo looking forward to your reports ,A guy i know fishing the lower recently had a 6lb10oz chub pick up his paternostered livebait intended for Perch so those lifelike minnow type lures should work a treat ,As far as i know he was fishing a trace and all my livebait caught chub have come even with wire all be it accidental captures but not sure i buy into the wire will put them off thang Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I had a message about the rod, it's discontinued and they can't get them any more! Bugger! So I am back to square one...

PS 6lb 10oz chub, yes please! Although I think I'd rather have it on bread flake :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had a message about the rod, it's discontinued and they can't get them any more! Bugger! So I am back to square one...

PS 6lb 10oz chub, yes please! Although I think I'd rather have it on bread flake :)

Is it really essential to have a drop shot rod would a light spin/Jig rod not do ?? Just a thought like you know how manafacturers love to convince us of things

Yes i know you would [have it on bread flake ] but i reckon you may be supprised when you get your rod to give it a go as the bigger ones seem to get more canabalistic/carniverous in the winter where as in Autumn it`s generally normal sized Chub that hammer my lives .

the fella with the big chub posted on the cemex forum but he has a pic of it on the TAC forum which is well worth a look Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I don't own any spinning rods Steve, so I may as well buy one called 'drop shot', as I won't be doing much else lure-wise. They are different though, the Fox Rage one I am now considering has a spliced tip, for example, for subtle bite detection. The sensitive tip is also so you can gently 'shake' the lure without moving the weight. You don't want it bumping along the bottom.

It will be very interesting to see how the chub react to it...I think they might be real suckers for a little quivering minnow :)

BTW does anyone know if Fosters of Birmingham are still trading? I don't want to order another rod that either doesn't exist or from a shop that's shut down <_<

Edited by Anderoo

I don't own any spinning rods Steve, so I may as well buy one called 'drop shot', as I won't be doing much else lure-wise. They are different though, the Fox Rage one I am now considering has a spliced tip, for example, for subtle bite detection. The sensitive tip is also so you can gently 'shake' the lure without moving the weight. You don't want it bumping along the bottom.

It will be very interesting to see how the chub react to it...I think they might be real suckers for a little quivering minnow :)

BTW does anyone know if Fosters of Birmingham are still trading? I don't want to order another rod that either doesn't exist or from a shop that's shut down <_<

I have a feeling that Wynchwood do a drop shot rod ? If not i spose its the USA Cabellas/Basspro and may work out quicker if not cheaper .

Hi Guys,

In answer to JV44's question, no it's is not essential to have a rod labeled "drop shot," however they do have a rather specific action, having a very fast robust tip leading to a strong backbone.

The Greys Prowla Drop Shot that I have for instance has a casting weight of between 7g and 28g - that is a much larger range that you would normally find on a spinning rod. Most spinning rods in my experience have a more through action, and lack that all important sensitive tip.

Drop Shot rods usually have cut away handles too, allowing the user to feel the blank directly, this transmits what is happening to the lure more efficiently as the line can be trapped against the blank with the forefinger. They are designed to work with braided lines also (although that is true of many rods these days).

As far as the use of swivels go, I personally wont be using any. The reason is that a true drop shot weight is designed to be easily moved about the line in order to adjust fishing depth quickly and easily - no knotting.

I have attached a picture of a tungsten drop shot weight that shows the custom formed top of the swivel link. To use this you just slide the line through and lift it up into the narrowed portion to lock it into place.

I got a delivery of the little shads shown today, these are made by Quantum in the States. The last image shows a soft wire 15lbs trace that I rigged up for drop shotting just in case I also draw the attention of a Pike.

Regarding how fish react to these things - have a look on the internet where you will find some very interesting videos on drop shotting. I watched one the other day of a pack of perch having a go at one of these shad lures. They just couldn't resist it. I can't see why they shouldn't be just as effective for Chub.

post-20982-1296677036_thumb.jpg

post-20982-1296677536_thumb.jpg

post-20982-1296677545_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

These are the swivels I was talking about:

grip-swivel.jpg

It means you can attach any old cheap weight and achieve the same effect. £1.35 for 10 :)

Edited by Anderoo

Hi Anderoo,

Yes, they look fine for your purpose.

I believe that these swivels are actually designed for casting into your own weights, the cross knurling on the swivel body would suggest that.

The reason that I chose to use tungsten alloy weights is that I don't want to risk leaving lumps of lead behind in the canals I am going to fish, or in the rivers where there is a higher chance of snagging between rocks.

I could be way off the mark, but I get the impression that you are thinking of using lead. I thought that the use of lead weights had been banned for freshwater fishing in the UK, and that only non-toxic ones should be used. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Tungsten has some advantages, because it is denser than lead, the weights can be smaller and slimmer, and I understand that they make more noise on entry into the water, thus alerting predatory fish. The disadvantage is of course cost. I found that by purchasing them from the States, this cost could be vastly reduced.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

I don't use lead, but still use the term 'lead' to refer to leger weights - so the swivels would be used with normal non-toxic leger weights.