Prowla Platinum Drop Shot 7ft 5-28g - Anyone got one?

Hopinc

Anderoo i have a rod for that already but fancy the idea of being able to drif and cast around a bit ,There are ferw really deep bits around here or most areas if it comes to that on the thames so the jigging is mainly done down the side of structures/Mooring posts /bridge supports and the like but have other waters in mind for the drop shotting as well so gona go halfway house and get a 2.4 length rod i think

I should have guessed! :lol: In that case, a 2.4m drop shot rod sounds sensible, that's the length I went for, for the same reasons. Drop shotting is more of a static method though, and I have been advised that to do it properly you should sit down. The aim is to 'shake' the lure without moving the lead. You can then bring it in a bit and fish that spot for a bit, gradually covering water, but it's not a searching technique, from what I understand.

PS for perch, I have also been advised that thin fluorocarbon is necessary. Because the lure is static, they have all the time in the world to inspect it and decide whether to take it or not. I think 4lb is probably a good starting point. Pike trouble will be the main cause of problems I think...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys,

I went over to "Tackle2U" in Bradford this afternoon to "interview" some reels for drop shotting and float fishing. This is one impressively stocked tackle shop.

Until today they had been temporarioy out of stock of the one reel I really wanted to see, the Shakespeare Mach3 XT 035 front drag.

Of the other reels I looked at I would not hesitate to buy any of the following makes: Daiwa Whisker, Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 035 (front or rear drag), Preston PXR 5000 (very nice reel) and the Daiwa Procaster X. The reels on display were of course in several different sizes.

I bought the Mach 3 XT 035 front drag because it offered great performance and by far the best package for the money. 10/10 Shakespeare.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

My first few bits just arrived :) Those little panic minnows look great. Unfortunately the rod is out of stock but being ordered in, so I'll have to wait a little while before I can try it out.

As I got 150 yards of braid I think I'll put 50 yards or so on my pin, and chuck the fireline away. The 10lb power pro looks thinner than the 8lb fireline anyway, plus it's yellow and so very easy to see.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Bummer about the rod. Still, it gives you something to look forward to :D Let us know when it arrives.

I spooled some braid onto two of the shallow spools supplied with the XT 035 yesterday. Even using shallow match spools I had to use 20lb b.s. fly line backing to reduce the depth. One spool I loaded with the pink coloured Zander Pro in 4lb b.s. and the other with Fox SoftSteel 10lb 4oz b.s. This is dark green in colour and spooled very nicely. Both lines measure about 0.08mm in diameter.

One problem I have had previously with low breaking strain braided lines on fixed spool reels is that, as the top coil comes off the spool, it grabs coils from underneath causing a birds nest (that was with Power Pro 10lb). I am hoping that I don't experience that with these lines.

Spooling lines onto fixed spool reels brings up one of my pet hates - why don't line manufacturer's use plastic spools that allow the line to come of cleanly and easily. Having lumps cut out of the edges, centre holes with flats or keyways cut in them, line strapped to the inside of the spool with tape are all bad news :nono: :nono:

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Spooling lines onto fixed spool reels brings up one of my pet hates - why don't line manufacturer's use plastic spools that allow the line to come of cleanly and easily. Having lumps cut out of the edges, centre holes with flats or keyways cut in them, line strapped to the inside of the spool with tape are all bad :nono: :nono:

The 10lb power pro I have comes in a special little spool/case arrangement, where you thread the line through a little hole, grip the case between your knees under tension, thread the line through the first eye of a rod (with reel attached) and wind it on like that. I haven't spooled up with it yet, but it looks like quite a clever idea.

Hard to explain, but hopefully you get the idea! There's also a little line cutter on the case so you can cut it off when the spool is full.

I can well imagine the problems with light braid, especially in the wind. Plenty of 'new experiences' coming my way, I think!

Hi Guys,

First of all let me address the idea that you have somehow hijacked this thread - moving on to drop shotting per se is absolutely fine by me. That was the way I had thought this discussion would progress anyway.

Re the Power Pro - that is interesting. All my baitcaster reels are spooled with either 30lb or 50lb Power Pro, and I knew that they had changed the line recently (don't know what they have done to it though). It's nice that at last one line manufacturer is thinking about how their lines are spooled onto fishing reels.

FYI- My problem with the old version of the 10lb Power Pro wasn't caused by wind. I am not sure what actually did cause it, whether it was the lower coils slacking off with time, or friction caused by the outgoing line grabbing the lower coils, or possibly a bit of both, I just don't know. It was an expensive event though.

It's obvious that most of you are intending to fish the drop shot in still waters, and so will have slightly different requirements from your gear. I intend to be fishing rivers, where the current will add movement to the lure, and hopefully I won't have to work quite as hard as you guys to make them look natural :fishing:;) . It is certainly going to be interesting comparing notes.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Actually I'm intending to use it almost exclusively on rivers too! Although for the perch, it will be in spots where the flow is slow. It will be interesting seeing how the chub react to it too.

Actually I'm intending to use it almost exclusively on rivers too! Although for the perch, it will be in spots where the flow is slow. It will be interesting seeing how the chub react to it too.

The Chub on my bits just love little Rubber Shads Anderoo so i think you could well have a few .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The Chub on my bits just love little Rubber Shads Anderoo so i think you could well have a few .

Is it a size selective method Steve, or do the little ones have a go too?

Is it a size selective method Steve, or do the little ones have a go too?

Well define smaller...esp with what you have had out lately ;) ,Seriously though it tends to be Chub 2lb and over although i have no doubt with a small enough lure you could get smaller ones ,Jigging with tiny tiny micro shad type lures i have had Perch from a few ounces to nearly 3lb so would expect the chub to have similar habits and whilst livebaiting with small Bleak have had Chub that only scrape a pound or even a bit less engulf them so i am guessing it wont be as size specific as you hope but only time will tell so i watch this space in anticipation .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: