Prowla Platinum Drop Shot 7ft 5-28g - Anyone got one?

Hopinc

Have you been out drop shotting yet Hopinc?

After a failed attempt to buy a jigging rod, I've done a big U-turn and decided to get drop shotting gear instead. After thinking about it again, I think that style will suit me (and my waters) better. Just need to decide on a rod now, and as you say, choice is very limited.

Looking around, I think the Prowla looks the safest bet, but as I'll be fishing from the bank I think the 9ft version would probably be better. Have you used the 7ft rod from the bank (somewhere with overgrown margins) yet, and was it OK?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I haven't used it yet. I have all the gear now - the tungsten weights arrived from the States recently. I have just got to spool the Zander Pro braid onto a reel.

I think I will wait now until March for the trout season to open, that is my primary quarry for both drop shotting and spinning with this rig. By then I may also have bought another fixed spool reel so I won't have to dump line off another reel.

The 9ft Prowla steps up in casting weights a little as well as gaining a useful 2ft in length. Obviously if vegetation is a problem then you will probably have no choice but to go with the longer rod. If you get one let me know what you think?

I had a walk along some of the river banks that I intend to fish using drop shotting and was a little disappointed by the conditions I found. Normally in winter we get enough water pushing through to really flattens the old undergrowth. This has not happened this year and the conditions aren't looking good for the new season.

As soon as I have tried the rod I will post again. You may beat me to it :lol: !

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Cheers Hopinc. Quick question about all the bits - the right hooks, weights, rubber lures, etc - where did you get them from? Do you have to order everything from the States? I'm finding it hard to find any of it in the UK...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers Hopinc. Quick question about all the bits - the right hooks, weights, rubber lures, etc - where did you get them from? Do you have to order everything from the States? I'm finding it hard to find any of it in the UK...

Anderoo do you intend to use flouro?? Can the rig be made up with wire if Pike/Zander are around in Numbers?? Got a invite to boat fish the lower/Tidal; thames with a guy who keeps his boat down there so just curious .

Think there was an article on the harris sportsmail site about the gear you need /they stock but certainly far more choice in the states ,let me know which route you go as i can feel another rod purchase coming on if i can keep it quiote from SWMBO :rolleyes: steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Anderoo do you intend to use flouro?? Can the rig be made up with wire if Pike/Zander are around in Numbers?? Got a invite to boat fish the lower/Tidal; thames with a guy who keeps his boat down there so just curious .

Think there was an article on the harris sportsmail site about the gear you need /they stock but certainly far more choice in the states ,let me know which route you go as i can feel another rod purchase coming on if i can keep it quiote from SWMBO :rolleyes: steve

I think choice of fluoro/wire is basically down to pike problems. Where I intend to fish, perch outnumber pike by hundreds to one, so I will probably start with fluoro and see if it's OK, changing to wire if necessary. Yes, you can use wire, I saw a diagram on the web somewhere but have lost it again, sorry! But it is possible. If using fluoro, I've been told it's important to use the right type of flouro, as some are far better than others. No details yet though, sorry (I'm still at the investigation stage!).

The last post can be ignored, The Friendly Fisherman in Kent has most of the bits.

The lower Thames, on a boat, with drop shotting gear - I'm very jealous! New record perch perhaps? B)

The are quite a few soft lures available in the UK and can be bought from many soruces, for instance from Harris Sportsmail, to name but one.

The weights I ordered specifically from the US (see picture) and I got mine from the Tackle Warehouse (www.tacklewharehouse.com). The hooks I chose were StandOut Dropshot Hooks (size 2) from "agmproducts." here in the UK (http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/) - they have both hooks and baits.

I already have a fair selection of other soft baits and hooks that are in bigger and smaller sizes which can also be used for this purpose. I tried to choose a hook size with the No.2's that would match the size of lure and weights I intened fishing.

I set my sights on trout and so everything I have chosen from the rod, the Zander Pro 4lb braking stain braided line, the flourocarbon hook length and the size of weights has all been geared to that end.

If you are gowing after biger and stronger prey then you will need to chose your tackle accordingly.

I hope this helps

post-20982-1296128199_thumb.jpg

post-20982-1296128538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

I am going to be adding some of the shad type soft lures to that collection as well.

Keep in touch, I would like to hear of your experiences.

That agmproducts site is good, I just ordered my first few bits and pieces (braid, hooks, 'panic minnow' lures). Exciting! Now I've done that, I'll have to get the rest, so it's a good prod :)