Fishing Over Silt

Tench-man

Hi i been fishing for about 8-9 months now for carp on commercials as before hand i been fishing on the canal for about 10 years .. the local water ium a member of is covered in silt and was weondering what would be the best rig to use to catch me that 20lb carp swimming around .. its not a hiuge lake its about 4-5 acres ..

i was thinking about maybe useing a square pair inline led system or maybe the 360 pop-up rig

any ideas ?

Hi i been fishing for about 8-9 months now for carp on commercials as before hand i been fishing on the canal for about 10 years .. the local water ium a member of is covered in silt and was weondering what would be the best rig to use to catch me that 20lb carp swimming around .. its not a hiuge lake its about 4-5 acres ..

i was thinking about maybe useing a square pair inline led system or maybe the 360 pop-up rig

any ideas ?

You need to get on the chod lol. Sorry bit of a forum joke.

You could try the heli rig but allow the helicopter part of the rig to move up and down by a few inches?

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

How deep is the silt and how far out do you see fish feeding?

Inline leads are the last thing to use as they drag the bait into silt, and the 360 rig has a reputation for double hooking smaller fish, so I wouldn't recommend either...

On the silty estate-type lake I used to fish for carp, I would hide away and watch for carp to come along the margin (they'd come in close if they didn't see or hear you). Once I'd found where they went, I'd wait until they'd left, scatter a little bit of hemp and a couple of bits of corn close in, and freeline a bit of real corn and a bit of fake corn, so it just sank and sat on top of the silt. Then laid the rod on the floor and hid, and watched for the line to tighten.

So in other words, I didn't use any rig :) Another benefit is that you can see if you're going to get that 20lb carp or not.

The downside is that you'll get called a noddy, but personally when a carper calls me that, I get a lovely warm glow inside B)

Anyway, you have 2 basic options. 1. Find a way to present a very slow sinking bait so it rests on top of the silt. 2. Fish with a hooklength long enough so that the bait isn't dragged into the silt. Either will work. Also, in some places, the silt will be shallower than others.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

any ideas ?

In the summer try pellet waggler, fishing at a foot of the known depth to start with and catupault two 8mm pellets out every 20 seconds and use 10mm pellet banded on hair rig , then after 1/2 hour just shorten the rig by a foot until you start getting good bites , after a couple of hours you should be catching at about 12 inches deepth.

Its even very worth while trying this in winter on a nice calm day, but being just of the deck and using corn directly on the hook or double maggot or caster and just feed small amounts of corn or maggot every fifteen minutes.

It all depends on the lake thou and ideally you want to be ledgering in the winter if the silt will allow it , using a method feeder without any feed on it might not sink into the silt to bad and use a pop up peice of fake corn or bread discs are my favourite at the moment.

or ive just thought of small pva bag a bit smaller than a tea bag filled with 2mm pellets and nicked directly on the hook with pop up corn with no added weights and use the weight of the bag with pellets to get you out there .

Edited by tony tinca

Try a zig-rig with marshmallows, sounds odd but a soft, sweet, bright bait hovering a foot off the bed can be very effective :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I would try with a light lead nothing bigger 1oz and better still much smaller. I like the Guru little brown weights, I think they go down to 1/4 or 1/2 oz. any way I like to use the tiny one in the multi pack.

Just add a small PVA bag with just a tiny bit of groundbait to your favoured rig with a few pieces of dissolving foam in the bag to help the rig sink slowly. You could dispense with the feed content and some times I use only PVA nuggets for a slow drop through the water.

For hook bait I would use natural corn with pop up corn or maybe a 10mm pop up with a 10mm bottom bait. Both presentations just hold bottom if your hook length is coated style or combi style rig. I like to use ESP Stripe tease and remove about an inch of coating around the hook and with the baits I have mentioned they hover just above the bottom with out adding extra weight which may drag the bait in to the silt.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

You could try the heli rig but allow the helicopter part of the rig to move up and down by a few inches?

Some what ironically though ATS you are right! the "chod Rig" (in fact formerly known as the "silt rig") was indeed developed to fish in/with a bait on top of silt! The hook length length being determined by the depth of the silt so that all though the rig itself would be in the silt the bait (normally a positive or neutral buoyancy one) would not be dragged into the silt.

Tenchman,to find this all important depth of the silt (without the luxury of a boat) you need a simple plumbing rig,Easiest way is to slide a float on the line a few foot then tie on a swivel,tie on a length of white wool (natural not synthetic is best) then tie on a heavy weight (lot heavier than the float can support) set the float to lead distance at a depth a foot or two shallower than the actual water depth.

Cast out to swim allow the set up to sink (the heavy lead will go through the silt until the hard bottom stops it) the float keeps the rig vertical.Leave for a few minutes (this depends on the silt it self).Wind in and you will find the silt has stained the white wool.Simples!

If you need to cast any distance just modify the rig slightly to make it stronger by joining the swivel and lead with mono/braid and tying the wool on as well between the two.In most situations Ive found just the wool strong enough.

If anyone cant picture how this works/is set up just say and I will knock up a diagram.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

How deep is the silt and how far out do you see fish feeding?

Inline leads are the last thing to use as they drag the bait into silt, and the 360 rig has a reputation for double hooking smaller fish, so I wouldn't recommend either...

On the silty estate-type lake I used to fish for carp, I would hide away and watch for carp to come along the margin (they'd come in close if they didn't see or hear you). Once I'd found where they went, I'd wait until they'd left, scatter a little bit of hemp and a couple of bits of corn close in, and freeline a bit of real corn and a bit of fake corn, so it just sank and sat on top of the silt. Then laid the rod on the floor and hid, and watched for the line to tighten.

So in other words, I didn't use any rig :) Another benefit is that you can see if you're going to get that 20lb carp or not.

The downside is that you'll get called a noddy, but personally when a carper calls me that, I get a lovely warm glow inside B)

Anyway, you have 2 basic options. 1. Find a way to present a very slow sinking bait so it rests on top of the silt. 2. Fish with a hooklength long enough so that the bait isn't dragged into the silt. Either will work. Also, in some places, the silt will be shallower than others.

hi thanks for info .. erm the chairman of the water told me the silt is around 5-6 feet deep .. and there not too far out to be honest maybe 100yards

ye ok thanks ill give that a try .. the silt is about 5-6 feet deep according to the chairman of the water ..

A largeish solid PVA bag filled with whatever you want, use as light a weight as you can get away with for fishing the distance you need (100 yards?!! on a 4-5 acre lake?!! you would be casting over the far bank even at its widest!), fill the bag about a third full, drop the rig in lead and all (i'd use an in line flat pear lead with a soft braid hooklink 6-8inches) then fill the rest of the bag up with bait and seal it (use a lead with a tail rubber on it and position it so the tail rubber sticks up through the top of the bag, you can then use this to seal the bag onto using damp fingers, make sure you leave enough empty space at the top of the bag to allow you to seal it). Cast out, the bag is big and un-water dynamic so will sink slowly and land on the silt gently, therefore sitting on top of it, and dissolve leaving your rig on top of the silt and surrounded in free-offerings. Bobs your uncle.

Edited by Malters