keeping warm

nursejudy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

davidP:

davidP:

In the the UK, Nicholai, 100g perch are regarded as specimens. We would kill & eat them at our peril!

Errrmmm - isn't 100g about 3.5oz. If it is them I'm a perch specimen hunter supreme!
Drrrrrrrrrr! Am I thick or what? Metrication has almost passed me by. And I thought 100gms was the same as a kilogramme & that was about 2 1/4 pounds! In my prehistoric school days we were taught feet & inches, our snaps were black and white, our T.V's had just one channel and we dreamed of earning a thousand pounds a year. Our cherished rods were made of war surplus tank ariels, unless you were posh and had a wood job, and metric was unheard of. Dan Dare & the Trons, Dick Barton, Mr Crabtree, Stanley Matthews, Horace Batchellor and Radio Luxemberg ruled our leisure time and a pint was 1/3p. Metrification, like going to the moon and carbon rods, was a thing of the distant future.

[ 14. November 2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Nikolai, you are a true diplomat!!

Nurse Judy, see the back of Angling Times this week. It has an advert from Skeetex for angling suits made especially for women! Don't know if they have butt flaps though . But anything Skeetex make has to be worth looking at.

Well shucks Peter - and here I though you folks were completely and totally metrificated. Me, I use a conversion program.

And FWIW, Kilo(whatever) = 1000(whatevers)

Something I have wondered about though is the measurements that are the same name US/US but not quite the same size.

For instance (and below is UK at the left and US at the right)

1 gallon UK = 1.03 gallons US

1 ton = 1.12 tons

and lots of others. Go figure. At least with metric, they are all the same.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, we are far from totally metricated! We still buy and sell our ale in pints. We still drive so many miles to work. We buy a 100m of 2 lb breaking strain line. Our land is still measured in acres. We buy an 8' X 4' sheet of 5mm plywood and we measure our fish in pounds and ounces. And if the truth be known most of the population would far rather return to English rather than this French nonsense.

Good conversion site: www.onlineconversion.com

Paul

Great conversion site Tinca61. Added it to my arsenal.

[ 15. November 2002, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President