Sweden

Swedish_Carper

Do keep us posted about the plans for your business. I'm certainly interested, but it probably won't be for about 18 months. I assume summer or autumn is the best time to come?

What will your business be? Will you have a minibus and take people round as a group? Or will you just give individuals information about venues etc and leave it to them to hire a car?

Incidently, are maggots available in Sweden, or do people use other baits?

If I get this started you are most certainly welcome! :)

What time of the year depends on what species you want to target! For species within the carp-family I think April - September would be the best time, ultimate month would be May :) If you would like to target predators the colder months would be better.

My idea is to have some kind of suitable car and be able to offer transports :)

Maggot is available in every swedish tackleshop :)

My friend, who is a match-angler (has participated in many European and World Championships) owns a tackleshop and he offers maggots, pinkies, worms, blood worms, flavoured sweet corn, boilies, pellets etc. :)

//Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again!

I have been thinking alot about my idea the past mounths and I now have some more thoughts to share.

As some have pointed out, the fishing for carp-species may not be appealing enought to get the british anglers to travel to Sweden. I have therefore directed my thought to the predators.

My area got alots of lakes and streams and provide waters that can result in many small ones and waters that hold much less fish but the really big ones. Of courese there is also alot of waters that you could place between those extremes. This applies to all species (pike, zander, perch, burbot).

What kind of fishing do you like to experiance? Would you like to go for the big ones and take the risk of catching a small number of fish? Or would you rather go on a trip where catch is guaranteed? Or maby a combination?

For example, a few weeks a go me and a friend tested some pikefishing in a lake that we have never fished before. The lake is quite big (6 km long), is located in the woods near a small village and is not exposed to any significant fishingpressure. During less than a day we had about 15-20 takes on our livebaits and the pikes cought had a average weight around 10lbs. We did not manage to catch any of the lakes biggest ones and the biggest one for the day weighed around 15 lbs. According to a friend who have fished the lake before this was a mediocre result and we should have cought some bigger pike (he has cought two 22lbs+ pikes during one day in this lake).

Could this kind of lake be interesting or would you rather prefer going to a lake where you may get less takes but you are more likely to catch the fish of your dreams?

The same goes for perch and zander, last time I went out zanderfishing(a week ago) we fished a big lake that has great amount of zander but a rather low average weight (some big ones though, many 15lbs+ are cought every year). During half a day fishing with vertical jigging we cought 16 zanders (1-4lbs), 4 pikes(2-4lbs) and 3 perch(1-2lbs). No big specimens but great fun on a light gear.

Would this kind of fishing be interesting? Or would you rather target less, but bigger ones with trolling?

Keep in mind that aside from fishing, the surroundings are stunning and the number of other fishermen very low. :)

I have many more thoughts, but I save them for later.

Att leva är att uppleva

Personally I would prefer a combination. A fun relaxing day where the catch is as guaranteed as is possible when it comes to fish and then a day targeting the specimens. The more remote and peaceful the better.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Like you suggested before, cater to the individual.

If, like me, they want numbers over size, then the lake you describe sounds excellent. Some however, may want a 'big girl', or the chance of one anyway ;), in fantastic surroundings.

If you can offer both, for a reasonable price, (with extras on top like boat hire, equipment hire etc) then you may find yourself onto a winner Patric.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

All,

Let me correct BUDGIES post. They ALL resent being shown how to fish.

Is Sweden, on average - expensive - moderate - inexpensive as a destination compared to Europe? Visa required?

Phone

All,

Let me correct BUDGIES post. They ALL resent being shown how to fish.

Is Sweden, on average - expensive - moderate - inexpensive as a destination compared to Europe? Visa required?

Phone

Like myself then :) When I'm fishing abroad with a guide I want him to be more of a fishing-buddy then an instructor.

I think Sweden is moderately expensive. Not near as expensive as Norway, but not near as cheap as Bulgaria for example. If your from another EU country no visa is required.

What do you all think about icefishing, would that be something british anglers could be interested in? It is often a very effective method for the predators and usually results in alot of action.

Att leva är att uppleva

Good to see you've not given up on it Patric, also that your still doing your research rather than just diving into it.

Ive been lucky enough to have been involved in two very successful fishing ventures.European Catfish Trips (later European Carp and Catfish Trips) and The Graviers Dijon (home of the world record carp). I say lucky to have been involved but believe you me luck has played no great part in their success. Some say the coverage we got from television (much aided by a contact in the business) helped but everything was up and running before that.

Both offered the angler something different to what was currently available.To find out what the "difference" that would appeal to customers an awful lot of time,research and actual fishing was put in. Both offered not only something different (remember that for many many years ECT was the ONLY UK guiding concern that ran full seasons in several countries as opposed to just arranging trips here and there as demanded and Dijon still offers anglers a chance to fish a water where the fish have grown on over many years to record size and not just for stocked grown on fish) but something that anglers who were prepared to pay for their fishing wanted. The other important things such as knowledgeable guides,good customer service etc etc were a lot easier in comparison to achieve/build on.

So Patric in my opinion finding your niche in the market is what is the big thing. This you are obviously doing to an extent at the moment but you really need to look at what is already available,what people like/dislike about it and whats missing from the market. Most of what you have already offered is already available. Of course its best not to have to compete but if you cant find something different then you have to! If not to compete in the same game you have to be either better or cheaper! both equally hard.

Also (despite the fact that a lot of us older/long time anglers are not so worried and scenery,relaxing time become just as if not more important) believe me when I say that the acid test of any guiding service for most customers is what the customer actually catches! Simple as that. From the descriptions you've given of the sizes of fish/numbers of fish I doubt this will be a big enough draw.

Maybe get the Burbot fishing sorted? The ice fishing would certainly be different enough to attract? If you want to guide for the predators though you will have to look at what the other established outfits actually produce (regularly) for their customers and either beat this or at least provide the same but offer it cheaper. Sorry this is all so negative but its a very hard game. AND no doubt why guided angling has never reached the same heights as the USA here in Britain and Europe (with the masses anyway)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!