Anyone reccomend a good centrepin reel?

Andy Lockley

Depends how much you want to pay really. The J W Young reels start at around £160 and are an excellent quality reel. If you can afford that (and it should last a lifetime) then go for it. My most recent purchase was a Browning Revolver which was slightly more expensive, but sadly they don't make them any more which is a pity as I'd like another.

Below this price the reels will do the job but they can get a bit hit or miss. Browning do make a reel called the Rotator however. It's a lot cheaper than the Revolver, but if it's anything like the Revolver you'll be happy with it. Cheapest I've seen is £71.99 from Lobbys Tackle here. I got my Revolver through this company - excellent service.

Other than that for around £50 there's The Leeds Reel which some poeple swear by and some people swear at, Shakespeare Eagle centrepins which cost around £65, Relum did one that cost around the same, Arnold Kingpins at around £130, Swallow which I think were also around £130 (but not sure), Lewthan at around £140.

A sight worth keeping an eye on is Davis Tackle - they list all sorts of new & used reels (although they certainly aren't the cheapest for JW Youngs reels!). Another is Traditional Angling who also do old and new reels.

The Relum reel is listed here

Lewtham listed here

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Well Davidp seems to have most of it covered :D The Rotator at £72 is seriously good for the money and would make a great 1st pin. They were retailing for around £120 2 years ago...I've got a Leeds, a Black Eagle and a Youngs Purist - needless to say the Leeds & Eagle never see the light of day now.

A mate has got an Adcock though I believe Clive has stopped making Stantons now so they may be hard to come by. Was a very well priced bit of kit though.

At the very top end there's the Paul Witcher Aerial an exquiste copy of the classic 1922 reel which will set you back close on 600 notes (& I know some who still think this is cheap ) Another reel maker of note is Chris Lythe - I know Spindle - who frequent's these forums has one of his reels. You can visit here and drool...

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk

Chris

[ 29. August 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well... I've got one on order (still), but it hasn't arrived yet.

There is one on eBay at the moment:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=1853473511

If you are looking at the Trudex then I'd say you are looking at the £50 bracket? If that is the case then I would say the Trudex is a pretty good buy. It has the benefit of having a removable lineguard if you want to wallis cast. Also, it can still be fixed if ever it goes wrong by a guy called Garry Mills, who I can't recommend highly enough. See http://www.milltackle.co.uk

I've got and use regularly:

Adcock Stanton, 5" with no line guard or click (Circa 1990)

Youngs Purist 2.

Lewtham Engineering, Leeds. With no line guard.

The first two are very pretty and an absolute joy to use, the third is also good to look at, very nice to use and can stand a bit of a beating. The Lewtham is the one I use most, as it seems to be able to handle any job I throw at it. As it is also the cheapest to buy, I'd reccomend it to someone who is just starting out with a pin. I believe you can get one with a line guard, but In actual fact, I find them a hinderance.

When you get a bit more proficient and find you really like it (which I do), spend a bit more. The sky's the limit with pins. I think the last time I looked, a new Lewtham was well under £100. Mine actually cost £12 second hand, tee hee!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Couldn't tell you without proper identification of the reel - can you post a picture?

Otherwise, does it have any serial number on the back or other markings?

Value is always dependant on type, condition, any surviving packaging, and finding the right buyer with the right money.

It's good that you aren't selling it though. Get out there and use it, that's what it was made for!

My first pin was a Youngs trudex, be careful though, as you can tell from most of the posts, these things can become addictive.....best of luck though, they can be great tools even in my clumsy hands.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY