Winter river piking session

AddictedToScopex

Hi all,

I am planning a trip down the river after pike tomorrow but was wondering whether it would be worth giving lures a go as well as the deadbaits? I have not heard of pike coming from the stretch I am fishing as most pikers can be tight lipped so it is more of an exploratory mission.

Having done all my pike fishing on canals it will be a good learning experience either way.

Any other tips that can be offered would also be well received.

Thanks

Rik

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only tell you that the last two sessions (today and last week) when i tried working a lure for perch, i didn't have a single fish, so lures might not be the best choice. Might still be too cold... best of luck though

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Don't talk to me about pike. You should have seen the one i lost earlier :(

Literally on the lip of the landing net, must have been 20+

lol unlucky. Was it a river fish? Well I had planned to use deads but was wondering it it would be worth working a lure on the off chance.

yes, was on the river. I was infact chub fishing, but after seeing a BIG pike follow a hooked dace i decided to set-up my big rod. I did so, with a live dace on the trebels. It worked & i had a fantastic battle with it, until i lost it :(

really was gutted, so went back to the chub lol

It depends on the level and colour of the water.

If it's flooded, I tend to float ledger in backswims, the mouths of streams and other slacks.

If it's lower and clearer, trotting tactics can produce well but trotting and holding back constantly with pike tackle gets tiring very quickly.

Lures will work in winter but baits are a better bet.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A float legered Smelt on or just past the marginal shelf always seems to produce for me :)

Further out into the main flow the paternoster is a great rig to use so that the deadbait wafts around in the current like a wounded fish

It's best to use floats where the line goes through the middle as opposed to bottom end only and use banksticks to keep the rod elevated and line off the water just as you would when legering on a river

Hope this helps :)

James

Jan/Feb/March - Chub, Pike & Perch

We were out yesterday I blanked but Sue had a nice jack on a Golden Mullet Pattern Storm Wildeye Jigging minnow.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks all. Sadly the mrs got her claws in and I had to do wedding planning all day so didnt mannage to get out :angry:

Planning on making it out this coming sunday though so will take all the advice on board.

Always throw the lures about, especially between your deads. A big spoon fished low and slow. It can provoke a take on the deads and get the pike moving. Many a day has been saved for the committed angler who isn't sitting reading a book.