Where to tench fish around oxfordshire

gazza01

Hi everyone this is my first posting so not to sure if i have done it all right or not. I live in oxfordshire and have had some successful days fishing carp puddles and getting some good bags, I have had few good roach and bream days in various places BUT I HAVE had no LUCK catching tench, The few tench waters i have fished have produced carp and roach. Any suggestions welcome for lakes for good tench fishing no plagued with carp, I would travel if need be.

Thanks

Blenheim palace lake is definitely worth a punt for tench,they dont reach the monster size catagory of some well known gravel pits but they are prolific.

One possible downside is that is boat fishing only which may not be your thing.Upside is that it is a stunning lake and a carp free zone as well!

Hi Gazza!

I live in Oxford too I'll rack my brains for you! There aren't as many places as you might think, in fact I'm actually posting whilst fishing for tench 100 miles away!

Are you looking for big tench (harder waters) or easier waters with lots of smaller ones?

Will post more info when I get back to a computer tomorrow!

Rich

Hi Gazza!

I live in Oxford too I'll rack my brains for you! There aren't as many places as you might think, in fact I'm actually posting whilst fishing for tench 100 miles away!

Are you looking for big tench (harder waters) or easier waters with lots of smaller ones?

Will post more info when I get back to a computer tomorrow!

Rich

I am happy with both the odd big one or bagging waters to be honest. I would like to break my record of 8lb 11oz and i would also like to build up the odd bag aswell. I love to fish for tench on the waggler which is not always possible at some deeper or weedier venues. thanks for your reply last night and i look forward to hearing more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Gazza,

Can't help you out much on the lake front - I'm sure others can.

However, it's often overlooked, but there is a very good head of Tench in the Thames. I, and a few others, have had some great fun catching lovely, plump fit Tench from the Oxforshire Thames which can create some nervous moments when they use their big paddle-like fins in flowing water! . I have caught them at all times of the year (except the Closed Season of course).

The odd gravel pit or two I used to fish before concentrating solely on the Rivers in Oxfordshire, always had a mixed head of big carp, bream, tench etc. Blenheim Palace is a famous water but it costs body limbs to fish there - I pay less for a seasons River fishing than for the price of a punt on those lakes!

There may just be a secluded, overgrown lake somewhere out there that has Tench - and just Tench - if you find it let me know?!! :)

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Wileys lake in Newbury is a tench water. It's a RDAA lake but you can buy day tickets from the bowling center which the lake is behind (£6 two rods I think). Google Newbury Superbowl and have a look on the statellite map to see exactly where it is.

Apparently legerered plastic sweetcorn fished with PVA bags of small pellets works very well. It does get weedy though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Wileys lake in Newbury is a tench water. It's a RDAA lake but you can buy day tickets from the bowling center which the lake is behind (£6 two rods I think). Google Newbury Superbowl and have a look on the statellite map to see exactly where it is.

Apparently legerered plastic sweetcorn fished with PVA bags of small pellets works very well. It does get weedy though.

Make yourself a rake,tench really do respond to a raked swim.

BTW i was at wylies last week had 3 Tench the first one coming less than 20 minute after i had hauled out the rake.Unusually for a gravel pit the tench in wylies seem to switch off come mid morning.Other RDAA gravel pits i have fished the tench feed all day long as all the articles/text books suggest.

Thanks for the reply, Can you suggest any particular stretches and what licience they come under? I have walked along the stretch towards reading by beale park....looked like it had potential for tench. cos i have only lived in the area for 8 months i am not to sure of where is best.