Carp- maggot idea

davedave

Instead of messing around with dental floss or buying maggot clips, what about safety pins? If you got a fairly small safety pin you could cram a dozen or so of then put it straight on a hair rig, is this a stupid idea or do you think it would work?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Anything is worth a try, but there is an easier way to hair rig multiple maggots.

Get yourself some small barbed spade end hooks in 20 or 22, straighten them out completely, (a bit of heat may be required here) tie to the end of your hair, tie the hair to the hook and and cram with maggots.

Would i be better off just putting say 8 on a size 14 hook or something?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Thanks, i just bought a pack of 10 maggot clips for 1.60 on ebay so im going to give them a try but if their naff it's not a lot of money wasted. :)

Edited by davedave

I stopped using maggot clips when I started to miss takes because the clip had turned and got caught in the hook, Probably when it was being pulled around by tiddlers. I am not prepared to sit around worrying about things that can (and often do) go wrong.

There seems to be a mindless obsession with everything must be hair rigged...why do you need to hair rig maggots?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I stopped using maggot clips when I started to miss takes because the clip had turned and got caught in the hook, Probably when it was being pulled around by tiddlers. I am not prepared to sit around worrying about things that can (and often do) go wrong.

There seems to be a mindless obsession with everything must be hair rigged...why do you need to hair rig maggots?

Den

Exactly my experience and veiws as well Den.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Den

Yes, me too. Those things cost me fish, and just aren't necessary.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes, me too. Those things cost me fish, and just aren't necessary.

me too its never crossed my mind to try and hair rig maggots , why try to create a problem when its not necessary :)

Edited by tony tinca