Trotting Rod length?

thamesoddity

Most of my fishing is on the Kennet and I've found the extra length of a 15' rod to be helpful particularly when casting in restricted space by swinging the float out like a pendulum. As regards the make of rod I’d second Chris Plumb’s recommendation, I’ve owned a couple of these for the past year and it’s the only trotting rod I need. The Harrison is equally at home catching small grayling as it is larger barbel and chub, versatility is its strength. It is a little heavy but the blank is getting on a bit now.

You’ll be at the LIF fish-in so you can give it a try then if you’d like. Not sure it’ll help you catch up with Nick S but I bet he grabs all the best swims anyway :)

That Nick S is a scounderal who pinch`s all the best spots/has the bestest maggots etc :lol: ,TO you are welcome to try my 15` Normark Titan at the fish in after trying Rustys harrison steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Alan, it's not about the size, it's about how you use it... ;)

Having said that in my opinion a longer trotting rod offers more control in general. I would go for 14ft as this won't be unwieldy on a boat and is a nice compromise. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Have used long rods in the past up to 20ft but these days don.t go longer than 15ft , just cut down my 17ft Excel to 15ft just too tiring on the wrists , can do 90% of my fishing with a 13ft rod these days I pefer to use a larger float than longer rod

Like most on here I use many length rods but would caution you that good 15' rods are not cheap so would suggest you limit yourself to a good 14' unless costs are not in the equation. Drennan do a very nice 14' ultra light waggler rod is you need to think about weight as well as length as when trotting you do need the rod in your hand all the time.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God