Trotting Rod length?

thamesoddity

I've been using a 12 foot trotting rod for a couple of years now on medium sized rivers e.g. the Lower Itchen, the Kennet etc., and have found I've been constantly outdone by my regular fishing partner (nick S) who uses a longer rod than I.

I was wondering what the more experienced members would say is the optimum length of trotting rod for rivers like the Test, Itchen and Kennet when one is expecting to mostly encounter fish ranging from a couple of ounces to a couple of pounds.

I'm considering buying a 15 footer, would this be a good length?

I've been using a 12 foot trotting rod for a couple of years now on medium sized rivers e.g. the Lower Itchen, the Kennet etc., and have found I've been constantly outdone by my regular fishing partner (nick S) who uses a longer rod than I.

I was wondering what the more experienced members would say is the optimum length of trotting rod for rivers like the Test, Itchen and Kennet when one is expecting to mostly encounter fish ranging from a couple of ounces to a couple of pounds.

Perfect IMO!!! Its what I've used for years and years on just such venues!!!

This is my weapon of choice....

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/tackle-and-bai...-float-rod.html

:rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A 15' rod will give you 3' more reach over a 12' rod when you fish off the rod tip. How wide is the Lower Itchen, the Kennet etc? It might help a bit in some pegs, but in general it won't open up that much more water for you IMO.

Having the ability to trot beyond the rod tip will open up a lot more water for you. To trot beyond the rod tip you need to mend the line to keep it up stream of your float so you can hold back with out pulling it off line. You will get a bit more height and reach with a longer rod to help you do this, but if you can't mend your line with a 12 footer you won't be able to with a 15 footer either IMO.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

On small rivers like the Test, Itchen and Kennet a 13ft rod is easily the best. The Wye in Hereford is a vastly more challenging river in terms of range and depth. You'll find a 15ft rod much harder work than 13ft.

I'd ask yourself why your mate catches more fish, or is it just bigger ones? There's much more to float control than length of rod, and much more to catching fish than just float control - float choice, shotting, line and hook, feeding and understanding how to fish a swim are also important. It's easy to fall into the trap of a rod being a holy grail that will help you catch more fish (as indeed many think the same applies to reels) but it ain't that simple!

i have a range of rods from 10' to 20' and found 13/14ft rods best for casting with ,and the 15ft rods give the best compromise with casting and tackle control .anything over 14ft can be unwieldy especially in tight swims but its not always about long casts ,the more control you have over the tackle the better you'll fish it .its about using the right tool for the job ,you match the rod too the size of the river and the swims on that river .generally speaking most people can cast and fish 1/3 distance the width of a river ,comfortably and catch fish ,it may take a while for the fish too come too the feed ,probably why we all like too have that one last cast (or two) ,just in case the fish are late arriaving .and if rour rod is restricting you from fishing at 1/3 distance then its too short.

if your on a moderate sized river with little marginal vegitation ,you will manage with a 12ft rod but be limited as too the control you have over tackle ,say two rod lengths out ,because a 12ft rod has a effective length of 12ft - (handle length + distance your standing from the edge of the water 1ft-3ft.) =length of rod overhanging the water +12

[12ft - 2ft -2ft =8ft] and two rod lengths {the average casting distace} thus becomes 20ft (12ft+8ft) which might not be enough too reach the fish holding area's and you might be casting too them but because of the restricted rod length your tackle is pulling back towards you as it flows downstream and out of the fish holding area's to be inline with your rod tip .

therefore the longer the rod the better line you can trot downstream and have more control over the tackle ,the easier it is too mend line etc. some swims even on small rivers need the extra length of a 15ft rod just too reach a vissible fish lair ,so casting is minimised so as not too spook fish .12ft is probably too short for most rivers except the really small ones (less than 13m wide)

By & large a 13ft & a 15ft rod cover most situ rations .if you was wading then rod length isn't such a problem .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Most of my fishing is on the Kennet and I've found the extra length of a 15' rod to be helpful particularly when casting in restricted space by swinging the float out like a pendulum. As regards the make of rod I’d second Chris Plumb’s recommendation, I’ve owned a couple of these for the past year and it’s the only trotting rod I need. The Harrison is equally at home catching small grayling as it is larger barbel and chub, versatility is its strength. It is a little heavy but the blank is getting on a bit now.

You’ll be at the LIF fish-in so you can give it a try then if you’d like. Not sure it’ll help you catch up with Nick S but I bet he grabs all the best swims anyway :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If I can get away with it I prefer to use my 13 or 14ft rods (and so does my back).

But, especially when trotting for roach, sometimes I'll switch to a 17' to target the bigger fish just outside the main feeding area, and to gain more control when fishing further downcurrent when the bigger fish are back there.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust