Barbel

confused

If you're in Nottingham, an excellent place to try is below the weir at Beeston, the stretch before it bends left into Clifton Grove - caught my first Barbel there and have had a fair few since.

Nothing huge by any means (4 1/2 lb max) but Barbel notheless.

Never had much luck after October, but there's plenty of Chub & Perch and growing numbers of Roach - on the float.

I'd suggest using flavoured meat as lately it's been hard going with plain Spam etc. Hemp & casters standard in the feeder.

It's day ticket, Notts AA, but haven't seen a bailliff for ages.

Good luck,

Simon.

Firstly pick a stretch that has good barbel form,and then fish VERY accurately , maybe clip up to your spool to ensure your feeding always lands on the right line, if you keep this up in a variaty of swims on each of your visits you should have success, but the key on any large river is fish accurate

One way i've found productive for catching barbel and chub is to feed the area with a hemp/caster/maggot filled feeder [no hooklink] for hours on end until you can see the chub and barbel going wild in the swim.

Tighten up to the feeder too, and you'll see the rod tip banging around to tell you that fish are in the area. Some people mistake these for actual bites when they have bait on the hook, so learning what's a bite and what isnt will serve you well in the future.

Casting out too soon will spook the fish away, but if you time it right after feeding an area so often you will catch 3 or 4 fish on the drop and then have to repeat the process as the fish will have moved off because of the commotion.

This method is used almost always by record seekers. Some dont cast out until they see anything that looks over 17lb!

The other way that is best for catching specimens is to get your polaroids on, and walk as far as you can searching the water for large fish and freelining to ones that you see.

hope that helps.

[ 15. November 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Woodzzz ]

Woodzzz:

One way i've found productive for catching barbel and chub is to feed the area with a hemp/caster/maggot filled feeder [no hooklink]for hours on end until you can see the chub and barbel going wild in the swim.

Or use a bait dropper - I went to a talk given by Stefan Horak last close season and this was pretty much what he recommended as well - often feeding in maggot for up to 6 hours before baiting a hook!

Fine if you've got a lot of time - many of my sessions only last 6 hours in total!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog