A couple of Richard Carter reels

Rusty

At the risk of boring non 'pin fanatics has anyone noticed the feature that immediately marks these out as Witcher reels? CP not allowed to answer.

The strange need the manufacturer feels to give these "brand new" reels an "antiqued" finish?

Strange when all the collectors of the "real" thing want the ones in the "newest" looking condition!!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of boring non 'pin fanatics has anyone noticed the feature that immediately marks these out as Witcher reels? CP not allowed to answer.

The ratchet spring perhaps which used to be a fairly common feature on early aerials and on some more modern replicas such as some of the casting in wood models

I’d love to say close but no cigar but I’m afraid neither of you are in the tobacconists.

Ah, I think I know where you are coming from, the locking mechanism is on the back of the Witchers compared to the front on other pins

Correct, the retaining fork was fitted to the back of the drum to tidy up the front, no other reason. Makes it a bit fiddly to remove the drum though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Correct, the retaining fork was fitted to the back of the drum to tidy up the front, no other reason. Makes it a bit fiddly to remove the drum though.

I was told off a reel maker that fitting the retaining fork in this fashion causes the pin to be weak. He reckons a chap he knows was using his witcher to reel in a carp and the pin snapped off under the pressure and the spool fell into the pond. Does that sound right to anyone else ?

I was told off a reel maker that fitting the retaining fork in this fashion causes the pin to be weak. He reckons a chap he knows was using his witcher to reel in a carp and the pin snapped off under the pressure and the spool fell into the pond. Does that sound right to anyone else ?

In principle, the area of the undercut slot to retain the forks is the weakest area of the pin so it is feasable that if too much strain is put on the outside of the drum then it could have an effect however it would need full information regarding the material used for the pin and the dia at the base of the undercut slot to work out the shear stress. Just had a quick look at my Carter and from the measurements taken from the slot dia approx 0.115"vs the running dia of the pin approx 0.210" then converting the information into respective cross sectional areas you find that there is 3.4 times the maerial in the running area of the pin compared with the area at the turned down part for the slot. Obviously from a design point of view this means that the traditional method of mounting the spool is a much stronger one but this in turn does not mean to say that there is anything wrong with the other method.

I want the Bisterne - now that is a reel that would go for SERIOUS money if 1 ever came up for auction! My mate Dave was showing his off when we fished Redmire a few years back - I instantly fell in love with it! Dave went the whole hog that weekend and fished his with a MKIV cane rod...

C.

Interesting thread, but wait a minute - you've fished Redmire? Redmire - THE Redmire?

Stuff CP centrepins, how do I get to fish there!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."