Fantastic Plastic - Do you have faith?

Dales

For me there is a truly massive difference between a lure that is worked to produce a fish attracting movement and a static piece of rubber.

Well yes. There is. I stand corrected. (Said the man in the prescription shoes)

I meant in the sense that it is something artificial/inedible and often doesn't even look like food. They are picked up mainly out of curiosity or whatever fish have instead. Its the confidence angle I was trying to get across.

Static artificial baits definitely have a place but you are not going to enjoy fishing them unless you have confidence in them. Once you have caught on them & are confident in using them you will use them more frequently, catch more on them and have more fun.

When i started lure fishing I was very doubtful (in spite of what other people say) that a fish would want to eat a piece of metal or plastic. But after some successes I came to appreciate that fish do not think the way we do, if at all, and respond in their own way to something visually different to the surroundings. They have no choice but to suck it up just to see if it might be edible or not. ...And that will be their undoing..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: these look perfect for sticking a pellet in to prevent it breaking down and falling off a hair: http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/baithtm/cornskins.html

I've ordered some of these corn skins, they look very interesting, lots of possible uses. A great way to use bottom baits that break down, by housing them tightly in a 'skin'.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I tried flavouring fake corn with brasem for bream fishing, but despite soaking several bits in the brasem liquid for several months, as soon as it went in the water it just seemed to wash off straight away! I started a topic about flavours and flavouring baits at about the same time which was interesting, but didn't really lead me anywhere.

I'd be very interested in how you flavour your baits and with what, I'd do it more if I thought it would soak in/stick to the rubber!

So now I just use all the fake baits straight out of the packet.

I think the Drennan fake maggots and casters come in a pineapple flavour - has anyone tried these?

Hi Anderoo,ive got the drennan maggots and casters and i will be giving them a go this coming season at wingham.Ive been shown a set up for their usage by a friend of mine who has had a lot of success on this particular rig,in fact so has his mate[martin bowler].I'l catch up with you at wingham,tight lines,eddie

I've ordered some of these corn skins, they look very interesting, lots of possible uses. A great way to use bottom baits that break down, by housing them tightly in a 'skin'.

my local tackle shop sells all the enterprise tackle imitation baits ( tackle warehouse ) and im looking forward to trying these corn skins as well .

Thanks to this topic i tried their imitation maggots on sunday to win my first match of the year ,i hair rigged 1 red and 1 bronse alongside a pellet cone rig , like i said in a previous post its great to have the confidence that plastic works against all my thinking that they couldnt , and because i can present them on a hair rig secure in the knowledge they are staying on it is gonna change the way i can present bait to the fish .

I dont think that plastic baits are gonna get you more bites than real baits but i do believe they are an equal and because of their versatility their looking to be a better alternative in a lot of situations .

The corn skins turned up. What a great idea they are! I'm looking forward to experimenting with them once the tench and bream fishing starts in the spring, I think they might become my hookbait of choice, they offer so many options.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The corn skins turned up. What a great idea they are! I'm looking forward to experimenting with them once the tench and bream fishing starts in the spring, I think they might become my hookbait of choice, they offer so many options.

They look interesting don't they? I fancy giving them ago as well. I would like something similar to fill with Trout or Hallibut Pellet paste and fish over pellets with....think I will see what I can make.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You could probably hollow out some of the solid fake corn bits if you were careful?

I reckon they're also a good way to fish bits of pop-up boilie in a way that protects it from the nibbling antics of little roach. You could even house a couple of real maggots in one, or a bit of worm...

EDIT: these look perfect for sticking a pellet in to prevent it breaking down and falling off a hair: http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/baithtm/cornskins.html

Those corn skins look really interesting. They could be very useful at Wingham in so many ways. My mind is now buzzing with ideas. Thanks, Andrew!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Those corn skins look really interesting. They could be very useful at Wingham in so many ways. My mind is now buzzing with ideas. Thanks, Andrew!

They are very interesting, I'll bring them along to the work party.

They are very interesting, I'll bring them along to the work party.

Cheers, Andrew!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net