Fantastic Plastic - Do you have faith?

Dales

with real maggots you're going to catch a small perch. With the fake maggots, you'll get the tench.

I believe you, but don't understand why. If it is an imitation maggot, why do you not get everything you would with a real one?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to get over the hang-up is to give them a fair go!

Your totally right mate I considered trying to "up" my confidence in them by fishing an "easy" water when the fish were having it (dead logical really and much what I used to do with new carp baits or rigs) BUT...............................the water I'm going to use them wont be easy,the fish wont be having it! BLOODY EELS! I'm afraid its just a strange,irrational hang up that I just cant get my head around plastic for big bream!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I believe you, but don't understand why. If it is an imitation maggot, why do you not get everything you would with a real one?

Different species require different stimulus to take,Perch seem to be very sight/movement oriented (don't get any problem on real maggots at night from them) Maybe?

It's just be the different ways the various species feed. The small perch will pick at individual items (the mouth is not a fleshy, extendable one like a tench/carp/bream), chew them around a bit and the decide whether to eat it or not. I expect the fake ones get picked up now and again and spat out again. The tench will hoover up a bunch of stuff, filter out the stuff they don't want to eat and then swallow the rest. With a suitable rig, you've got him at that point! It really helps to have your fake maggots sitting in a pile of real ones, as a decent sized fish will hoover the lot up in one go.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Having watched Andrew taking Tench like shelling peas on the plastic, I meticulously tied up numerous hair rigs last year with the intent of giving them a fair go, but every time I used them I just had to put a couple of real ones on just in case. I know it is not logical and on several occassions that I caught, there were no signs of any of the real maggots left on the hook no but even then I couldnot bring myself to re cast without the insurance of one or two of the genuine articles firmly affixed. I will try and convince myself next season by fishing the same spot with two rods, real on one and plastic on the other because the advantage of knowing that there is bait on the hook should definately be a confidence booster.

Like a poster on Fox Mulder's wall "I want to believe"

But it just seems so hard to take that final step and leave the food item off the hook.

I think I will try the glow in the dark corn again, as at least I seem to have some faith that a fish will see it and I may get a curiosity pick up. I may well give plain plastic corn a try during the day in clear water conditions again as the fish may see it.

But even knowing the mechanics of the way certain fish feed, my mind still comes back to why would a fish pick up a piece of plain plastic at night :rolleyes:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Like a poster on Fox Mulder's wall "I want to believe"

why would a fish pick up a piece of plain plastic at night :rolleyes:

And even though they undoubtedly do that in a nut shell sums up my hang up!

But even knowing the mechanics of the way certain fish feed, my mind still comes back to why would a fish pick up a piece of plain plastic at night :rolleyes:

Maybe it doesn't matter why they do but if they do...and they do!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I must admit, I found it hard to trust them, but I tried them and they worked, and now I have faith in them.

Mind you, they don't deter everything - while tench fishing last year, I was missing some belting runs on a local gravel pit. When eventually I hooked one of them, it turned out to be hand sized rudd!

Seeing Steve post reminded me of another great confidence boost, which was fishing tiny static buzzers for trout. If you don't fly fish, they look like this and immitate emerging midge larvae (bloodworm):

epoxy-buzzer-black-green-cheeks.jpg

It's the same principle, no 'life' is added to them as you fish them and they are extremely effective. I'm sure they'd be very effective at catching tench (and other coarse species) too.