Winter Chub

shajw10

Hello

Can anyone advice me on fishing for Chub using cheesepaste. I've never used it before so haven't a clue.

Basically I fancy doing a bit of wandering and roaming ( helps keep warm )so any tips, methods ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Shaun

The lazy way is to buy a pack of shortcrust pastry or you can make your own if you like,then add some grated cheese.

I tend to use a nice smelly Danish blue & Chedder mix. There are various cheese flavours around if you want to add a bit more 'smell'

Pull off a small amount, knead it a bit and mould it onto the hook.

This mixture can be frozen so you can make up a large amount in one go & freeze some down for future sessions.

Tight lines

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Shaun

I can't help with cheesepaste as I don't use it these days. Instead I use bread, usually with a flavour added, as I can change the buoyancy to suit different situations.

As to general tips on roaming for chub, rather than repeat myself you may find my post and others on the following thread of help:

http://anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ultima...ic;f=1;t=008725

Be sure to tell us how you get on.

[ 21. November 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just as lyn suggests I made up my own cheesepaste for my first river session last weekend, using scottish mature cheddar and shortcrust pastry, within the first ten minutes it was taken robustly by a fine looking chub which would have been my first had I not lost it inches from the bank when it snapped my 4lb hooklength, it proved to be my only fight of the day and I can't wait for another crack at it. Be warned use strong tackle!

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Just buy a pack of good old cheddar mate,use it straight from the pack just kneed it and mould onto the hook,why on earth bother mixing it with pastry!!!(probably get shot down in flames for saying that).

chris :)

The reason for mixing with pastry is to have a soft paste that the hook will come through effectively on the strike.

If you just use cheddar it is perfectly possible to mould a paste on the hook cos the heat from your hands will soften it,but a water temp in the low 4os will make it go hard again.

Don't bother freezing it just let it mature on it's own, the more it smells,the more they like it.

Just to be slightly different i use a mix of danish blue and fresh liquidised bread with a dash of olive oil and some garlic salt .

Microwave the danish blue till its liquid and add a little oil and some garlic salt. Then mix in liquidised breadcrumbs with a fork until a nice paste consistency is achieved.

Beware of the smell this concotion leaves in the kitchen though.

rgds jim