Crayfish

Colin Payne

poledark:

Signal Crays are magnificent specimens, fearsome creatures,

Den

Hmmm, I have killed and eaten some pretty magnificent fish, rabbits, kangaroos and birds in my time and they all taste pretty good. I take no pleasure from the killing its self, but I enjoy the hunt. However, I do treat my quarry with respect and I believe that it should be killed as cleanly as possible. I do prefer to kill crays and lobsters by drowning them, but I still kill crabs by dropping them in boiling water - after they have been packed in ice for a few hours. If you are going to eat as a carnivor then what you eat has to be killed no matter how magnificent it might have been while alive. Most sportsmen are kinder in the killing than are professional providers.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put an animal into warm/hot water and then bring up the temperature up to the boil it doesn't die instanly, but if put into boiling water it dies instantly I was told by a trawlerman many years ago. I believe what he said to be true.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

It's allright lads, I am not going all Veggi on you :D

I love prawns and had some the other night, delicious, and no doubt killed/cooked in boiling water. Point is I did not see it happen.

Signals are out of control and nothing we as anglers can do will alter the situation and the last one that I caught was about 10" across the nippers. As I held it up to have a close look it struck me what a wonderful creation it was, and I was completely unable to kill it.

That is all I meant.....sorry...... I must be turning into an old softy. :o:o

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Chris - tried the link. "No Such Page".

Trimmed back to just the basic URL

http://www.crayfishtraps.co.uk/

to look for a renamed page or something. Got

quote:

This is thebe.simplynames.co.uk.

If you see this page it means:

hosting for the domain you requested is no longer configured

For more information please contact admin@simplynames.co.uk

[ 17. September 2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Very strange - was working earlier today - honest. Nice informative little site on Crayfish trapping in the UK. Pictures of traps and how to make them, the legal position (EA Thames region only!), Pics of Signals and natives - even some recipes...

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Now that is odd, I viewed that site about 5hours ago and now it is not there????

Is it possible that someone has removed it?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic