Now let's ban fishing

Colin Brett

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Roper:

ON SECOND THOUGHTS! Was it a Colin Brett typo?

Jim Roper

[/QB]

Nope!!!

Could have been the Cambridge News though!!

Very dangerous ground being trodden here, TT could be a made up name and our sleuths could have happened on another TT.

The purpose of the original posting was to let everyone [and that means all branches of angling] know about this letter and look out for any more and then put pen to paper or finger to keyboard and stand up for our sport.

So please stop the guesswork and fight back legitimately.

Colin

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be interesting. Do they ever hold fishing matches anywhere even vaguely close to the offices of the Aberdeen Evening News? :)

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Waller:

Peter Waller:

PS: There is no why that letter was written by a librarian from one of the Inns, and don't confuse these librarians with the little old dears in sensible shoes.

Why is there 'no way that letter was written by a librarian from one of the Inns'?

Its probably takes an educated woman to be a librarian, not that that makes her right. Perhaps she has time on her hands, access to a computer. 'No way' is it 'no way'. I would have thought it unlikely, even improbable, but not impossible.

Well you seem to be totally missing the point! Yep, nothing is impossible, but if you can't see the potential legal implications of "outing" someone on a thread where there have already been some fairly aggressive postings and the only connection is a name then I don’t really expect that you would be able to see why I posted what I did.

I’m sure that you are fully aware of the case of Godfrey V Demon Internet, whereupon Demon got well hammered (along with free speech), and the implications that has had on ISPs and Usenet? Would you like to see the same happen to AnglersNet, I know I wouldn’t. You’re splitting hairs and being pedantic and frankly it’s not very helpful.

Errrrm also… Her/His/Their style of writing may constitute a dead giveaway as to if Her, His or They are “educated”, don’t you think?

Toodle-Pip

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

The text consistently mis-used the word practise, when in this context it should have been practice. This might point to it being the work of an individual rather than an organisation, although it could just have been the work of a recent university graduate. (I'm assuming the text was quoted accurately, as I no longer have my copy of the original)

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Waller:

If it is THE right Theresa Thom at grays inn then I hope people will enquire as to whether Mss Thom is who we think she might be and state their case, such as Mike Heylins reply, in a right and proper manner, showing that anglers are reasonable thinking beings.

I Emailed the lady in such a way as to suggest that these letters might in fact be bogus, and mentioned the spelling variations.

I sent the message at 18.06 last evening so would not expect a response until working hours today, by which time I shall be asleep.

If someone is using the name bogusly, it is only right that she should be warned so that she can defend herself.

Perhaps someone could collate a list of publications where these letters have appeared, together with the editors' contact details to aid the lady in issueing disclaimers.

As a matter of interest, the librarian of a local educational establishment is an active member of the anti-roads movement and supports 'animal protection' organizations. I am informed by a member of the Hunt Sabs that he is also one of their members, but he denies this. Well! he would wouldn't he?

I never got the job that he interviewed me for!!!!

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Davey B:

Davey B:

Davey B:

PS: There is no why that letter was written by a librarian from one of the Inns, and don't confuse these librarians with the little old dears in sensible shoes.

Why is there 'no way that letter was written by a librarian from one of the Inns'?

Its probably takes an educated woman to be a librarian, not that that makes her right. Perhaps she has time on her hands, access to a computer. 'No way' is it 'no way'. I would have thought it unlikely, even improbable, but not impossible.

Well you seem to be totally missing the point! Yep, nothing is impossible, but if you can't see the potential legal implications of "outing" someone on a thread where there have already been some fairly aggressive postings and the only connection is a name then I don’t really expect that you would be able to see why I posted what I did.

I’m sure that you are fully aware of the case of Godfrey V Demon Internet, whereupon Demon got well hammered (along with free speech), and the implications that has had on ISPs and Usenet? Would you like to see the same happen to AnglersNet, I know I wouldn’t. You’re splitting hairs and being pedantic and frankly it’s not very helpful.

Errrrm also… Her/His/Their style of writing may constitute a dead giveaway as to if Her, His or They are “educated”, don’t you think?

Toodle-Pip

No Davey, I didn't miss the point, far from it. I'm well aware of the legal implications, and yes, it does concern me, especially re AnglersNet.

The reality is that the 'sender' may not have been aware of the fact a trace, albeit perhaps unreliably, could take place.

We are coming to loggerheads on this one and there is no need.

Perhaps it would have been more to the point if you had underlined the legal implications rather than saying saying the letter could not have been sent by a librarian from the Inns.

However, I would doubt there is any harm in asking Mss Thom if she did in fact send these letters for publication.

Jim made a point by refering to his local librarian. Such jobs do sometimes attract people with an 'anti something or another' agenda. No, they don't always wear sensible shoes!

Perhaps we are and have missed the point of each others postings. I'm sorry if that is the case.

[ 06. September 2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

quote:

Well I my opinion it was just a simple letter to fill space in the paper.

Just like I mentioned before just a simple wind up.

Teresa Thom Has just won the day and got you all going.

Emails to the papers has just proved her point?????

A classic example of all at sixes and sevens.

All shot of in different directions and no plan.

We must all get together :D

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

In my opinion, every letter such as that one should always be responded to immediately. We obviously differ on that point.

Peter Waller:
Such jobs do sometimes attract people with an 'anti something or another' agenda.
That be good enuff for me, off to the ducking chair with 'er, arrrr.

Maybe we should wait to see the response(s) from the good custodians of The Inns of Court, assuming they haven't fell about laughing their tits off after reading all this.

--

Be Kind To Your Children, They Get To Pick Your Nursing Home.

Peter Sharpe

In my opinion, every letter such as that one should always be responded to immediately.

Yeh fine but if you want to gain maximum effect sit back, think for a short while and then hit your target.

Don't just press the launch button and hope you hit the target.

Your way you play right into the hands of these people??

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com