Your best efforts and getting brownie points

stooby

Morning all,

After readying Anderoo's thread on the up coming end to the river season various people mentioned that they have scooped up some "Brownie points" to get some sessions in... it got me thinking, what are some of the most extreme efforts you have put in at home just to get some of those rare "Brownie points" to use for fishing sessions? :D

Just a thought... :)

Cheers,

Stu...

Spent the whole night moving the mother in law to her new house so I could get one more (unexpected) day in on a trout reservoir when it first opened for piking!

Only time my ex wife ever asked me not to go in all fairness to her but we still managed to sort it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I fish a fair bit but if my other half ever asks me not to go, I just dont, and I don't make a fuss about it. There are quite a few jobs around the house I need to get done to keep everyone happy (she has RSI and so housework is very difficult/painful for her) which I'm happy enough to do. So I just get things done ahead of a session. In the winter that's easy enough as I'm only ever out for a few hours at a time, in summer when I go away for a few days at a time, it takes a bit more planning.

There are tricks to it though! If conditions are poor and you know the fishing will be hard or unpleasant, I don't go for the sake of it, but use the time to do those DIY things that are always hanging about, or go and have a day out together somewhere, and stack up the brownie points for later. This weekend is a good example, no fishing this weekend (in rubbish conditions) means I have the final 2 weekends completely free :)

I think the biggest single act of brownie point work was taking down a knackered old fence and putting a new one up ahead of a session at Wingham last year. That involved many early mornings and late evenings and was an absolute nightmare, but the feeling of finally getting it done and setting off down the motorway with a clear conscience was definitely worth it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I fish a fair bit but if my other half ever asks me not to go, I just dont, and I don't make a fuss about it. There are quite a few jobs around the house I need to get done to keep everyone happy (she has RSI and so housework is very difficult/painful for her) which I'm happy enough to do. So I just get things done ahead of a session. In the winter that's easy enough as I'm only ever out for a few hours at a time, in summer when I go away for a few days at a time, it takes a bit more planning.

There are tricks to it though! If conditions are poor and you know the fishing will be hard or unpleasant, I don't go for the sake of it, but use the time to do those DIY things that are always hanging about, or go and have a day out together somewhere, and stack up the brownie points for later. This weekend is a good example, no fishing this weekend (in rubbish conditions) means I have the final 2 weekends completely free :)

I think the biggest single act of brownie point work was taking down a knackered old fence and putting a new one up ahead of a session at Wingham last year. That involved many early mornings and late evenings and was an absolute nightmare, but the feeling of finally getting it done and setting off down the motorway with a clear conscience was definitely worth it!

Agreed there is nothing like the feeling of a guilt free days angling with support of my wife .

Ive had my best matches off these feelings. :D

Agreed there is nothing like the feeling of a guilt free days angling with support of my wife .

Ive had my best matches off these feelings. :D

Again, I completely agree! Leaving for a days fishing with the Fiancee smiling is always a nice feeling, rather than sneaking out early doors with her looking at you with a frown and you know she is thinking "I wanted you to hang the TV today!" is never a nice feeling...

The only thing is I am poor at DIY.... but these things have to be done, and a guilt free session is so much more relaxing! :D

I don't need brownie points as I voluntarily spend a lot of time with my wife on her interests, even though they're not mine. This includes helping her with her paperweight business, that until recently involved a lot of travelling.

When Peggy was working full-time all my friends knew that Sunday was "Peggy Day". Except for special events like Fish-Ins I never fished on Sundays.

It's great fun doing things together, but we also both like having space and doing other things alone. For instance Peggy used to come fishing with me, but hasn't since we came back from honeymoon when we shared a few hours in a boat. I wonder why!

On the other hand Peggy has willingly done lots of typing of articles for me, knew the contents of my slide shows off by heart and came with me to help man my stand at tackle fairs etc. And of course she enjoys doing the Wingham Fish-In BBQs.

She also does me a cooked breakfast and a packed lunch when I go fishing, and has dinner on the table when I come home.

Oh, and she also likes decorating........ :D

Yes, I know I'm spoilt, but I spoil her too. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why we've been happily married for all but 20 years.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

There are other ways that don't involve 'brownie points', but I recommend that only those in a long term relationship, (35yrs in my case), should try.

Make a nuisance of yourself, get in the way when she is trying to do something, or talk through her favourite TV programme.

You get quite good at it after a bit of practise. Your other half then insists that you go fishing. You of course 'reluctantly' agree, even though you would rather stay at home and 'help' her. But, if she insists, what can you do but go, just to please her.

Don't try too often, but just when the need arises.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ive only just started fishing really but when i feel like a bit of piking if she doesnt want me to go i just say ill put these deadbaits in the bin then.....

she hates the smell so wont let me the only way to get rid is by fishing.

plus plenty of advance notice works for me and the occasional.

"here love why dont you go into town today" and hand her some money

works for me

I don't need brownie points as I voluntarily spend a lot of time with my wife on her interests, even though they're not mine. This includes helping her with her paperweight business, that until recently involved a lot of travelling.

When Peggy was working full-time all my friends knew that Sunday was "Peggy Day". Except for special events like Fish-Ins I never fished on Sundays.

It's great fun doing things together, but we also both like having space and doing other things alone. For instance Peggy used to come fishing with me, but hasn't since we came back from honeymoon when we shared a few hours in a boat. I wonder why!

On the other hand Peggy has willingly done lots of typing of articles for me, knew the contents of my slide shows off by heart and came with me to help man my stand at tackle fairs etc. And of course she enjoys doing the Wingham Fish-In BBQs.

She also does me a cooked breakfast and a packed lunch when I go fishing, and has dinner on the table when I come home.

Oh, and she also likes decorating........ :D

Yes, I know I'm spoilt, but I spoil her too. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why we've been happily married for all but 20 years.

Thats what it should be all about , sharing in each others interests and hobbies and its what me and my wife are aiming to do more of .

Ive taken tasha (my wife) on a few pleasure fishing trips on nice picturesque waters and shes loved the peace and soroundings also ive mentioned to her about wingham and showed her some web photos of it .I was thinking if i get the chance to come to the wingham fish-in are partners welcome along ? as im sure she would get an even better understanding about why we love our sport so much as it looks like such a magical place .

Edited by tony tinca

I was thinking if i get the chance to come to the wingham fish-in are partners welcome along ? as im sure she would get an even better understanding about why we love our sport so much as it looks like such a magical place .

No problem, quite a few do. :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net