What Bits Do You Hate....?

Guest Wordbender

Guest Ray Pickard

Weed cutters come high on my list.However the latest,similar pet hate was last week,the first full week of the season,some kind person had cleared their stretch of still water of blanket weed straight into the Trent.There I was Monday evening trying to fish with rafts of the stuff 2 and 3 ft.dia. floating down at very regular intervals.It was still coming down on Wed. night although in not such large clumps.

Why could this have not been done a week or two before the start of the season?

So all of you on the lower Trent now know what you have got coming.

I fish below Colwick Sluice which used to have flotsam catchers years ago. Since the enviroment agency took over it seems these were dispenced with. Last night four tyres came merrily difting down stream not to mention the usual logs,traffic cones etc etc.

Yours Ray Pickard

Guest Chris S

People who spread loads of rods along a stretch of bank with all the alarms turned up loud.

People who deep hook pike because they are not in control of their rods, because they are sitting to far away.

People who spread loads of rods along a stretch of bank so nobody else can this that stretch.

Chris S frown.gif

Guest Chris S
Originally posted by BUDGIE:

In the winter when I am Pike fishing on rivers,drains and pits I use four rods with back-biter type alarms I like to spread my rods out.Despite the distances involved I ensure that not only can I hear the first indication of a run but also see the visual drop arm as well.My bite indication,hooking and unhooking skills have been perfected over the years.I HATE it when some half wit part time piker or baillif walks half a mile to give me a bank side lecture on the dangers of deep hooking pike.EVEN THOUGH THE **** HAS LEFT HIS OWN BAITS STILL IN THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!BACK AT HIS SWIM!!!!!!!!

Also on a more lighter note have you noticed how when fishing like this some scabby little terrier will cock his leg at rod 1, set of the alarm,then startled it will sprint off colliding in turn with rods 2,3 and 4!

Tough about the dog, but in my book you should not be fishing with rods all spread about over the place anyway.

Chris S frown.gif

Guest RobStubbs

Have to admit I don't like anglers spreading rods out. IMO it's bad angling and the angler will always be a long way from most of the rods - hence more chance of deep hooking <pike>. FYI the EA legal max distance between rod butts is, I think, 6 feet, and if anglers just leapfrogged that far I would be happy.

Rob.

Guest BUDGIE

I thought this might raise a few,even though this was posted in a what I presume was meant to be a humerous post.

How dare you critisise my angling when you dont even know me! have a day out Piking with me in the winter then you may be able to make judgement.I ensure that I can always hit my runs early eneough to avoid deep hooking and on the extremely rare occaision that I have to unhook a deeply hooked Pike(normally not even caught by me but by some dick head fishing for them Carp style)I have the experience to deal with it.As for taking up too much bank space only a complete idiot would do this on a busy water.Even if some other angler comes along after me I always offer to move a rod/rods for them.Dont quote EA rules to me either.Most three rod carp?pike anglers only have one licence and are therefore breaking the law at least all my rods are licenced.You don't catch me sleeping whilst I am fishing I pay great attention whenever I am using 1,2,3or4 rods.Any way eneough this was meant to be a fun thread started by Tel.If any of you have enough knowledge of this subject instead of old womens tales to debate this subject,then open another thread. I will gladley discuss it and if based on experience listen to your views.Do either of you actualy do any Pike fishing?

[This message has been edited by BUDGIE (edited 29 June 2000).]

Guest BUDGIE

Oh, and by the way the EA rules state that the butts of the rods have to be within a specified distance. Don,t worry its only the tips that I spread out over 60'!

Guest Steve Randles

I really hate anglers who bicker about each other instead of talking about it in a positive way, shouldn't we all be focused on coming togather instead of fighting

Guest RobStubbs

Budgie,

We are all entitled to our own opinions and that was all I was expressing. There is no way that rods fished 10's or even 100's of feet apart can be hit in the same time as 3 or 4 fished within the legal limit. That's probably why it was brought it.

I pike fish but not very much, but I would never dream of fishing my rods many yards apart. Oh and I don't see any advantage retorting with other bad practices. There are other things I don't like but they're not relevant to this particular discussion.

Rob.

Guest Chris S
Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Oh, and by the way the EA rules state that the butts of the rods have to be within a specified distance. Don,t worry its only the tips that I spread out over 60'!

Yoy do not have to be a pike angler to know that all you stated is bad angling practice.

It has been the practise of pike anglers on large drains etc for many years to spread rods about all the place but that does not make it right.

That is my last word on the subject.

Chris S smile.gif

Guest BUDGIE

Sorry to have interupted an otherwise light hearted post Wordbender.This will be the last time I post on this thread but not on this subject!Rob ,yes I agree every one is entitled to their own opinions and I like to hear them.I think however accusing some one of bad angling practises is not acceptable when you are not armed with the facts.Chris have a look at my new thread.Finally Steve R you have made a good point.A lot of this in bickering is down to ignorance of each others chosen areas of this great sport.Anglers Net should be used as a medium to let each other know why things are done.Often misconceptions vannish after the facts have been made clear.Once again Tel sorry for interupting your thread but I felt that I had to respond.