Ultimate Treble Hook

ThePiker

Hi all,

having been there,done it,and bought the t-shirt with treble hooks,i have come to the conclusion that here is not one hook that is good in all departments.The closest to perfection i've come across is Drennan's flank trebles, strong,fine wired,and very sharp.What let's it down in my opinion is that small diddy hook for holding the bait on.Partrigde hooks,can be brittle and expensive.Fox trebles are too easy to bend and again expensive.Some of the cheeper hooks that are sold loose in tackle shops, aren't just up to the job.Eagle claw trebles are good,but a wider gape would be nice(they are made,but I can't find them in the U.K.)..

I'm in the market to try a new treble at the moment,so what do you reccomend, and why?.... :confused:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my time in the tackle trade VMC of France had the reputation of making some of the best treble hooks in the world - even one of their competitors admitted so to me!

VMC do supply a few tackle shops direct (try the Friendly Fisherman), but they're also sold under other brand names. For instead the Terry Eustace Gold Label trebles are VMCs.

You may also find that you can still get them from http://www.calibertackle.co.uk although the new owner may not know they're VMCs! I'd hasten to add that I have no connection with the company since I retired and don't even know the new owner.

P.S. It's interesting that Terry Eustace independently chose the 3 same VMC patterns as I did: strong barbed and barbless designs for bait fishing, and a relatively fine wire treble that's easy to drive home when lure fishing.

[ 25. November 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I agree with Steve, VMC do some of the best. Gamakastsu and owner are very good as well, but they're all fairly pricey. I use Eagle Claws for most of my lure fishing as they're relatively cheap, have a good temper and hold a point reasonably well, certainly far better than mustad trebles!

Tim

Someone showed me some 'Owner Stinger' trebles last weekend - they look really good. Quite a wide gape, very small barbs quite close to the hook point and an unusual blackish shiny finish. The only drawback is that they are not cheap - Harrisons sell them, so does Lumby.

Mentioned them to a friend & he uses them so he sent me some to try - not had a chance yet, maybe in the week.

Barry

Hi Barry, glad to see you have found AnglersNet at last, you'll be more than welcome! By the way Round Trev had a 19.5 today!!

Re hooks, I think I have tried most of whats available over the years. As I'm a tight git I like a hook that I can sharpen and one that I can bend back to shape, AND most importantly, doesn't let me down. Crescendo of a drum roll here, building into a climax, for lure fishing it has to be - - - - -

The trusty Mustad Allround ref 3551!!!!! Brillient!

For bait fishing I'm rather partial to the Kamasan Pike Trebles.

Fox Hooks, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ThePiker:

Can any-one give me an on-line shop who do VMC's.

Cabelas & BassPro both do them online.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't see what's wrong with Drennans myself. Some of the cheapest as well. If I could afford to use them all the time I might also go for those black Partridge hooks (after flattening the barbs), but they're so sharp that I can't seem to use them without ripping my fingers to shreds.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hello Peter

I've been 'lurking' this site on & off for a while now - your thread about RW/DT goaded me out of the closet.

Not familiar with the Mustad 3551 - I like Mustads tho' - you can always find someone that sells 'em in 50's or 100's for not much dosh. Presumably the 3551's are fully barbed? I don't like the Kamasan semi-barbed, for the reason that last winter I managed to get the barbed point deep into my finger, 5 hours in casualty that cost me!

BTW - it wasn't Trev that had the 19.5 yesterday but his passenger, John - who also had an 11, Poor old Trev always manages to do the biz for his guests, It's about time he had a decent fish himself!

Peter (Sharpe) - do you have the pattern number for the Partridges? - I'd like to give 'em a try.

Diamond - Saichi? never heard of 'em, what are they like?

Barry