really, £2,000 for your own stupidity ?

Andy_1984

Why not Andy? All the playground shelters when I was at school had exposed rafters. When I went to school, she'd have probably been belted on the other hand to even up the pain. She'd have gotten a thick ear from her mother if she came home and told her parents she had gotten the strap at school. The school was wrong to have the rafters covered, in my opinion this weakened their case, an admission of guilt.

I would have had a verbal 'thick ear' from my mother for saying 'gotten' .

This has made me feel very old, I can't remember any school shelter, let alone what type of covers they had, 'exposed rafters' or not.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my introduction on going to school was being swung on some very rusty metal rafters with a hefty chap on each arm ,the abrasions and cuts in this welcome to secondary school faded after a fortnight it was a "tradition"

most of the school outbuildings were asbestos prefabbed jobbies no doubt from ww2 ,today's H & S would have a nightmare but ofcourse kids then seemed to have learnt about hazards by the time they got to primary school ,usually the hard way but the best way

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why not Andy? All the playground shelters when I was at school had exposed rafters. When I went to school, she'd have probably been belted on the other hand to even up the pain. She'd have gotten a thick ear from her mother if she came home and told her parents she had gotten the strap at school. The school was wrong to have the rafters covered, in my opinion this weakened their case, an admission of guilt.

i didn't realise they were actually built that way until i read some of the comments here, we never had these in my primary school. i thought it had been a deterioration of the shelters.

i used to get up to so much mischief in primary school too though. we had a huge crumbling wall all around our school i used to frequently climb and jump over to get to the other side to explore what was there. hurt myself tons of times and got a slap roon the head by my mum for being stupid. still done it though :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

they need shelters because modern kids seem not to realise rain gets you wet and never wear coats :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I would have had a verbal 'thick ear' from my mother for saying 'gotten' .

This has made me feel very old, I can't remember any school shelter, let alone what type of covers they had, 'exposed rafters' or not.

why its an English word but by and large forgotten so we use the American modern one spelt exactly the same ,not a perfect word but English all the same

Edited by chesters1

why its an English word but by and large forgotten so we use the American modern one spelt exactly the same ,not a perfect word but English all the same

True, it is, and has appeared in English for a long time. However it's a question of perception, and it has been percieved as an 'Americanism', as it currently is in some quarters. I am familiar with it's history, but it remains a word which I don't use.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

we have forgotten it

True, it is, and has appeared in English for a long time. However it's a question of perception, and it has been percieved as an 'Americanism', as it currently is in some quarters. I am familiar with it's history, but it remains a word which I don't use.
At first I thought that I had gotten my grammar wrong.

Gotten is a perfectly good Old English word, along with the likes of puddock and chapman I've no intention of giving up using any of them. Why cripple your vocabulary because a particular word is no longer "fashionable"? You'll hear gotten being used all over Scotland and they would look at you as if you had horns sprouting forth from your cranium if you told anyone it was an Americanism.

Would your mother have objected to "Without further ado"? That too is perfectly good English but I only hear Americans say it these days

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i had a guy going on about trick or treating as american rubbish ,in england its far commoner than 40 years ago but as you know guising is very old north of the border ,were lucky first footing is also rare down here ,once i'm in bed there's no opening doors without danger from me and my torch!

i find it disburbing and could be the reason kids today are mixed up ,you tell them 364 days a year not to take sweets from strangers then tell the buggers to get out and do it on one night :rolleyes:

we lock the gate and watch them via the security camera try to get in ,its a pity you cant set traps any more so grown ups can have fun as well <_<

Edited by chesters1

Yes Chesters, but when I was a nipper guising was not "demanding money with menaces" I guess most English or American posters will not have a clue what guising is. This is from Wikipaedia. True guising I don't have a problem with. Little thugs demandimg money with menaces can FRO.

Guising

In Scotland and Ireland, "guising" — children going from house to house in disguise — is traditional, and a gift in the form of food, coins or "apples or nuts for the Halloween party" (in more recent times chocolate) is given out to the children dressed up in various costumes.[32][33] The tradition is called "guising" because of the disguises or costumes worn by the children.[34] Among the earliest record of Guising at Halloween in Scotland is in 1895, where masqueraders in disguise carrying lanterns made out of scooped out turnips, visit homes to be rewarded with cakes, fruit and money.[2] Guising also involved going to wealthy homes, and in the 1920s, boys went guising at Halloween up to the affluent Thorntonhall, South Lanarkshire.[35] An account of guising in the 1950s in Ardrossan, North Ayrshire, records a child receiving 12 shillings and sixpence having knocked on doors throughout the neighborhood and performed.[30] There is a significant difference from the way the practice has developed in North America with the jocular threat. In Scotland and Ireland, the children are only supposed to receive treats if they perform for the households they go to. This normally takes the form of singing a song or reciting a joke or a funny poem which the child has memorized before setting out.[30] Occasionally a more talented child may do card tricks, play the mouth organ, or something even more impressive, but most children will earn plenty of treats even with something very simple. Often they won't even need to perform.[32] While going from door to door in disguise has remained popular among Scots and Irish at Halloween, saying "trick-or-treat" has become common.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote