polaroid's or not

manse

They help then Steve - quite a lot.

But mainly, for me anyway, they are the best for times when I just barely need them. Seem to give the best general vision in marginal conditions.

BTW - any on here who are violently opposed to shooting should avoid the amber/yellow ones since they are considered "shooters glasses" and are the ones most worn by folk making guns go boom at targets or furry critters. :D

[ 15. March 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

any on here who are violently opposed to shooting should avoid the amber/yellow ones since they are considered "shooters glasses" and are the ones most worn by folk making guns go boom at targets or furry critters. :D

I did get very funny looks sticking my bike on the train in Lewes last night wearing my camo jacket and polaroids. I guess having my rod with reel attached contained in a padded rod sleeve bungied on to my crossbar looking like a very long sniper's rifle might not help.

I've also got a pair of prescription Optilabs and yes they are pretty good if not too trendy....Apparently though, my eysight is improving (I work with Lasers so have to have my eyesight checked regularly) so I'm thinking of buying another pair. I've recently come across a review with the link to the following which you might find usefull.

Not Welding Goggles......!!

Paul

Newt:

They help then Steve - quite a lot.

BTW - any on here who are violently opposed to shooting should avoid the amber/yellow ones since they are considered "shooters glasses" and are the ones most worn by folk making guns go boom at targets or furry critters. :D

Don't go for the ones with wings in the corner either. Might be mistaken for Dame Edna!

The other advantage with polaroids is riding a pushbike down country lanes at night. You don't get blinded by cars coming round the corner with headlights on full beam and end up in a ditch, hedge or worse still the middle of the road.

I think I should add here. If you do use a pushbike to go fishing, either because you are an eccentric, a fitness nut, too ground down by student debt to afford a car, or too young to drive one - get two front lights, two back lights and a bright yellow vest - you know it makes sense!

[ 16. March 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Bill Eborn ]

Bill Eborn:

Just treated myself to a pair of the Optilabs prescription polaroids that Leon reviewed here a while back and they are really good just like the man says.

They may be the price of a decent rod, but I have tried clip-ons, sticking big poloroids on top of my glasses and contemplated getting contacts and then sticking normal polaroids on top, but after my first session using them last night, I am really glad I have got them.

I think if you normally wear prescription lenses, and you can't get-on with clip-ons, then you've not got much choice but to do what you've done.

ajp:

They also keep the flies out of your eyes when cycling Bill. :cool:

I don't mind the flies so much, its the bloody Rabbits that get me, especially early in the morning.

I reckon they wait in the hedge, whispering to each other "ere there's some prat on a bike with loads of fishing tackle on it coming up, lets wait until he's nearly past us and dash out in front of him inches from his front wheel and see if he falls off", its a conspiracy I'm sure of it.

Tell me, do polaroid manufacturers expect you to wear the glasses at all times ?

Whenever I take mine off, and put them in the silly little cloth/plastic slip case they provide, I then have to put that flimsy case in my pocket or tacklebag - and sooner or later there is a sickening CRRRUNCH, and I need a new pair. (Perhaps that's the real reason for spectacle manufacturers providing flimsy cases)

I visited Boots to buy a sturdy snap-closing case, only to find none of the umpteen cases they try to sell were big enough for a pair of men's polaroids.

The first manufacturer to offer polaroids in a custom-made sturdy bomb-proof case gets my vote!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...