Trotting with Nymphs?

far bank stalker

Check your local byelaws carefully !

This from the Wales section of the above sticky:

I could be wrong but it looks as if FBS is in north Wales that doesn't appear to carry the same restrictions.........I have the restrictions that you have posted as two of my local rivers come under the Welsh regs.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your local byelaws carefully !

This from the Wales section of the above sticky:

ummm....i think i may have illegally caught a trout! i put it back though! i only used maggot once because i had some knocking around and no worms the day i purchased my ticket. i'm allowed to trott on my section though for definite, a fair few club members that i've seen on the bank carry both a fly rig and a trotting rig. its the only stretch of the Dee as far as i know within wales. pretty sure it belonged to a working mans club once, or sumsuch.

even if a float is not allowed though, free-lining a worm ( or 'garden fly' ) is good. a lot of fly waters allow the use of worms.

Edited by far bank stalker

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

ummm....i think i may have illegally caught a trout! i put it back though! i only used maggot once because i had some knocking around and no worms the day i purchased my ticket. i'm allowed to trott on my section though for definite, a fair few club members that i've seen on the bank carry both a fly rig and a trotting rig. its the only stretch of the Dee as far as i know within wales. pretty sure it belonged to a working mans club once, or sumsuch.

even if a float is not allowed though, free-lining a worm ( or 'garden fly' ) is good. a lot of fly waters allow the use of worms.

A 'rolling' leger with worm, is another choice you have.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A 'rolling' leger with worm, is another choice you have.

John.

ah thanks, i'll look into that. i think my cane rod will be ok for bottom fishing. erm...is that what matt hayes is always doing? rolling a bait into the creases for chub?

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

I took the following exerpt from here

Use of lures and baits - non-migratory trout, coarse fish and eels

Stillwaters (including canals):

There are no byelaw restrictions on the use of baits in reservoirs, lakes, ponds or canals but fishery owners may

impose their own rules.

Rivers - non-migratory trout:

There are no byelaw restrictions on the use of baits in rivers, EXECPT:

• groundbait or feeder bait is not allowed at any time;

• maggots, pupae or non-aquatic larvae are not allowed (except within the Gwynedd Fisheries District where it

is permissible to fish with maggots if they are used in conjunction with artificial fly when fishing between one

hour before sunset and one hour after sunrise);

• only natural earthworm or artificial fly may be used within the Usk Fisheries District;

• in Upper Severn Area during the coarse fish close season no floats may be used and only artificial or natural

flies, lures, minnows, worms, prawns or shrimps may be used as bait.

Use of lures and baits - non-migratory trout, coarse fish and eels - continued

Rivers - coarse fish and eels:

Within season all methods may be used subject to the following conditions:

• in the River Wye and its tributaries upstream of Boughrood Bridge, natural earthworm, prawn or shrimp are

not allowed between 30 September and 1 November;

• in Upper Severn Area, when fishing for eels during the coarse fish close season (15 March to 15 June,

inclusive) no floats may be used and only artificial or natural flies, lures, minnows, worms, prawns or shrimps

may be used as bait;

• in Upper Severn area: during the period 8 October to 31 December (inclusive) the use of dead fish, worms,

prawns, or lures (other than artificial flies) as bait is prohibited on the following rivers:

- River Vyrnwy upstream of Meifod Bridge (SJ156128);

- all tributaries of the River Vyrnwy upstream of Llanymynech (SJ268205);

- River Severn upstream of Penstrowed railway bridge (SO074911); and

- all tributaries of the River Severn upstream of Cilcewydd Brideg (SJ228041).

• maggots, pupae or non-aquatic larvae are only allowed in EA Wales as listed below:

River

Permitted dates (inclusive) for use of maggots,

pupae or non-aquatic larvae when fishing for

coarse fish or eels

• Dee and tributaries (excluding the River Ceiriog), downstream of Horseshoe Falls, Berwyn 16 June to 14 March following

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I could be wrong but it looks as if FBS is in north Wales

Yep and so is the upper Severn - but in fairness, I could only find a float ban relating to the upper Severn and FBS has since confirmed that he's fishing the Dee.

The point still stands though - check those bye-laws.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

ah thanks, i'll look into that. i think my cane rod will be ok for bottom fishing. erm...is that what matt hayes is always doing? rolling a bait into the creases for chub?

I've no idea what Matt Hayes does, I'm not a great 'celeb' watcher. :D

I use enough weight to just hold bottom, (swan shot either directly on the line, or a on a link). Then cast, let the bait lay, lift the rod to dislodge it, and either let it swing round in the current, or release line to make it travel down with the flow. It takes a bit of experimenting to find the right weight, but you can add or subtract, to make the bait behave differently.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yep and so is the upper Severn

Why have they moved it recently :P

QUOTE (Ken L @ Mar 25 2011, 12:40 PM)

Yep and so is the upper Severn

Why have they moved it recently

The River Severn (Welsh: Afon Hafren, Latin: Sabrina) is the longest river in Great Britain, at about 354 kilometres (220 mi).[3][4] It rises at an altitude of 610 metres (2,001 ft) on Plynlimon near Llanidloes, Powys, in the Cambrian Mountains of mid Wales.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.