Snag proof surface lures

spamhill

Try www.luremania.co.uk they have a comprehensive list of surface lures,try some poppers or splutterbug lures as they also work well. Surface lure fishing is brilliant in the summer right from the opening day but dont forget to try surface fishing at night as well as that's just a fantastic way to catch pike and big chub

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the beast, just found some in my tackle box. Also where you can get them !

http://www.fujinet.ne.jp/~popman/hp/item/h...ddon_x9800.html

The Zara Mouse really is an incredible lure, just fire it really hard into the reed fringe of a lake or Broad and be surprised!

[ 08. June 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I bought a life time's supply when Harris had them on their half price page, when half price really was half price. Don't know if they are still available in the UK, certainly are in Japan, if I translated correctly ! Might be worth hitting BassPro or Cabelas and having a search.

He has quite a few of that particular lure for sale. Not new but not expensive and I'm guessing that if you wanted a few of them, he would work a deal with you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

As a point of note, Luremania.co.uk have said they can supply me with anything from the Basspro catalog. They are agents for them.

It might be worth asking about specific lures as Andy (the owner) is very helpful indeed.

Whether you go for hard or soft baits is down to both debate and situation.

The ABU Atom Weedless is an excellent lure for casting hard into reeds and vegetation, but it can become hooked up. The Zara Mouse has a well placed single hook that works far better than, for example, the Moss Boss type of single hook set up, and it fires into the reeds pretty effectively. Its one of the few inline single hook to lure set-ups that I have total confidence in.

Interestingly Fred Buller and Hugh Fulkus suggest in their book 'Freshwater Fishing' that in-line, rigid or semi rigid trebles will be much better hookers than lures with dangling hooks. And who am I to argue with those two gentlemen!!

The soft, hollow type of lure, with a masked type of hook, is not such a good lure for penetrating the reeds, they rarely have the weight in the smaller sizes that you need to get between the reeds.

I am also aware that if the pike doesn't bite down on the lure that they are not effective at hooking the fish. Wary pike sometimes simply open their mouths when they feel a lure, and out it pops! The moment their mouth is opened the hook can be masked again.

What has been said about fishing over and through weed is basically right. But during the summer the reed fringes can really be the place to hunt. I've had some really big pike out of the reeds in this manner, its well worth trying.

Its also worth fitting circle hooks to spoons, these hook the pike, rarely the reeds.

[ 12. June 2005, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]