What size will the barbel be at now (rough guess)

Norfolkdan

Don't see why you shouldn't catch Dan.

Its an emotive issue, Dan, barbel in still waters. Don't really know the answer. Bit like putting humans in tower blocks, t'aint naturel, but does it matter?

Barbel in the close season!

Barbel in a still water!

Barbel on carp baits!

A 'purist' issue?

[ 12. May 2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Whats a purist Peter?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Norfolk

anglers at my club waters tend to find our (inherited AND barblets (the result of barbel breeding in stillwaters)) barbel get caught at the bottom of shelves normally in the deepest areas of the water.

They tend to get caught on meat baits or red maggots and are attracted by hemp.

When hooked they do not like to come off the bottom and go like a steam train.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

A water I fish has a head Barbel upto 12lb. I have caught these when fishing for the carp, although I have targeted them on numerous occassions throughout the year with varied results. The best time of year I found was septmeber when they fed confidentally and just off the first shelf where they had some cover. As for baits, I found that meat and corn were favourites over a good bed of hemp.

Paul

rudd what kind of water is it, what are the stocking densities like, and how frequently do they breed, this could be important information for a very emotive issue

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

poledark:

Whats a purist Peter?

Den

In my case its a Youngs reel, but in general fishing terms I suspect that its what you want it to be. Some might argue that Chris Yates is a 'purist', I don't know! What do you think Den?

Have a look here.

Not many barblets get caught and I have only heard of six being caught that went under a 1lb in weight, infact not many of the big barbel get caught very often.

I have had one at just over 6lb this year.

The ones that do get caught average 5lb.

We have had the water 4 years and I belive the barbel were stocked 6 to 8 years ago which shows their growth rate is just under 1lb per year but I do not know how big they were when stocked.

The waters are very rich and the fry life is amazing.

I used a mepps aquila no2 spinner last week and had 2 inch perch having a go!!!!!!!!

I did have perch upto 1lb and a nice 1.5lb chub on the spinner.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!