Any fans of Modern Retro Gear?

Dales

I don't know if it's modern retro or even relevant but i see quite a few anglers still using these reels, obviously favouring them over the modern fixed spool reels. I think most of them are from the 80s but i'm not sure :g:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...=1t:429,r:2,s:0

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still use my Mitchell 300S reels and Optonic XL alarm. never let me down, and never serviced. Had to retire my Intrepid Continental as the plastic grip broke off the reel handle and the bale arm got grooved and damage the line

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I don't know if it's modern retro or even relevant but i see quite a few anglers still using these reels, obviously favouring them over the modern fixed spool reels. I think most of them are from the 80s but i'm not sure :g:

I'd guess that particular one comes from the 60s as it has the old-style "butterfly" (or boomerang) check lever. Unlike most makes of reel, the basic Mitchell body shape didn't change for over 30 years - Not many late 70s reels still look as good on a Mk IV carp rod as their 50s predecessors! :)

I see Fox rods got a mention. I've got one of the original 3lb Warriors. They seem to have a cult following. I wish I had bought 3 now but I was looking for a range of TCs at the time. Ho-hum.

I've got one of the Jerkmaster rods too but that might be getting stripped, so I can use it as a handy walking cane, map-pointer when I declare war on a small nation or something.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've got one of the Jerkmaster rods too but that might be getting stripped, so I can use it as a handy walking cane, map-pointer when I declare war on a small nation or something.

Pool cue?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I see Fox rods got a mention. I've got one of the original 3lb Warriors. They seem to have a cult following. I wish I had bought 3 now but I was looking for a range of TCs at the time. Ho-hum.

I saw one of the Fox kevlar barbel rods on ebay recently with a buy it now price of £300! No-one did, but it shows that some people know how sought after a particular rod is, and hope to cash in on it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Pool cue?

It is a bit yes. It's OK for punting big stuff around I guess but it's not very sophisticated.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Aye....think it was Dave Kelbricks first attempt with Fox.

OK I suppose if you're Dave Kelbrick but I'm not.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Winfield (Woolworth's own brand) tackle from the 70's has quite a high following among the collectors as well and is an amazingly ahead of its time range of gear.

Do you know who manufactured the Winfield gear Budgie? I remember drooling over the multipliers because they seemed so well made, still out of my reach though, my paper round paid £1.25 a week at that time.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back