Ide

John Ellison

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ide

ide (Leuciscus idus)

I do not know whether it is an acutal hybrid, I would guess with a latin name then it would be a true member of some family or other.

One for Bruno I guess ??

there again the zander has a latin name too.

I am impressed with the hardiness of these fish, and there willingness to feed, they seem to especially love casters, fished in an open end feeder plug with liquidized bread, try crumb and the bited drop dramitally, use continental groundbait and the tip will never move at all . . . maybe they are to finicky.

You can even catch them when the old rod rings require clycerine.

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

No, it's not an hybrid. It's a species of it's own, common in eastern european river systems. The golden orfe is an ornamental variety. It's reckoned that a 2 1/2 lb Ide will be 10 years old in natural circumstances.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

And the Zander is not a pike-perch cross. True species all it's very own.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I note that regularly people ask whether this fish is a X with that fish – where does this fish come from – etc.

Can I make a practical suggestion here, that those who have more than a passing interest in this subject buy a decent identification book, that also gives distribution ranges of species, etc.

So if you have a few shekels left after the overspend at Christmas, the best I’ve found is - Maitland P. (Peter) S. & Linsell K. (1881) The Hamlyn Guide to Freshwater Fish of Britain and Europe. (Second edition), Hamlyn, London.

My copy is 20 years old and cost me at the time £3.95 and was one of the best buys I’ve ever made.

I know it was reproduced a few years ago (Third edition) and is still in print.

The better booksellers Waterstones, Blackwells W H Smith (possibly) should have it in stock and/or be able to get you a copy for around £12-15.

The book not only gives you fish id. and distribution, the first 60 pages are packed with information on all things fishy – scale reading, anatomy, ecology, egg development and much more.

I’d bet that Bruno secretly has a copy on his shelves at home that he uses for quick reference.

phil h.

I have to say that the "ide" in the photo look exactly like bog standard chub to me, and not like any ide I have seen. Incidentally, one or two ide have been reported from Cromwell Weir on the Trent.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

I have to say that the "ide" in the photo look exactly like bog standard chub to me, and not like any ide I have seen.

That's exactly what I thought.

The fish I've caught and beleived to be Ide have been much more like roach than chub.

Some bloke I know reckons that they are capable of jumping out of keepnets, is that true?

HB.

Phil, Santa brought me a book two years ago entitled Freshwater Fish by Malcolm Greenhalgh and illustrated by Stuart Carter. The natural history of over 160 native european species.

It was first published in 1999 by Mitchell Beazley, an imprint of OctopusPublishing Group Ltd.

2-4 Heron Quays, London E14 4JP.

It's as comprehensive as most anglers will need for identification and the coloured drawings are as accurate to form as any that I've seen.

It cost 19.99 and I got on to it from a reveiw in the Angling Times. It does not come of the shelf much, but when it does it tells you all.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

yes, Ide are capable of jumping out of keep nets, or atleast making a good attempt. I caught one in an officials match 3 years ago. 2lb 1oz on the scales, I thought at first it was a big dog Roach, but the colour of the eye was pointed out to be yellow and the roach theory dissmissed. I thought it as the fish of a life time, but in a way was glad it was not a roach . . caught it on a margin pole, 5lb line and number 16 elastic. It fought for about a staggering 2 seconds before finding it's way into the folds of the landing net. After that it repaid my keepnet hospitallity by try to jump out, eventually I floated an empty maggot box in the mouth of the net and the fish decided to stay quite for the duration of the match.

I can not confirm that the fish in the picture are IDE, I did not catch them - but they were caught by another local match angler who has fished the Calder for years.

I am awaiting some more piccies of some big IDE caught from the Calder . . now these are big . . if my mate can dig up a photo I will post it ..

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !