One of those days

davedave

It was one of 'those' days today, on arrival at the lake i saw all the decent pegs were taken, so i set up in a peg that had an island within casting distance to and some lilies to the left of me. I set up two ledgers with bite alarms and put one to the island and one to the lilies, one with pellet (8mm), the other sweetcorn on the hook. The bloke next to me was grumpy and arrogant, the weather was cold and cloudy and worst of all i had one bite the whole day, but no fish <_<

I know every angler has bad days and just plain unlucky days but today everybody seemed to be blanking, out of the six anglers i could see, one fish came out! So when nothing seems to be working what can you do to try and get a fish? Changing bait and location didn't work so i'm curious as to what you guys do when your really struggling??

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Face up to it, sometimes they just ain't feeding <_<

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I think that was the case :(

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

the lake i was fishing today was the same in the end i caught a couple of carp to nine pounds by fishing very small pellet banded on a 14 hook 4 inches from the bank ie right in the margins over a bed of small pellets under a small float, when my brother saw what i was doing he did he same and had one. this lake has loads of carp in it i saw lots just milling around, i think they were getting into a pre spawning mode.

Edited by Peter M

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I agree with the pre spawinging mode bit.

But targetting other fish species and altering hook sizes and floats worked for me. Nothing large came out but a variety of 1/2 to 1lb fish close in.....relaxing.

"Muddlin' along"

Nice :) Yeh i think they might be spawning, but you'd think either the fish that hadn't quite started or the fish that had finished spawning would be feeding. I also reckon a bit of rain will help, might try again in a couple of weeks :)

But targetting other fish species and altering hook sizes and floats worked for me. Nothing large came out but a variety of 1/2 to 1lb fish close in.....relaxing.

There's just too many days in the year when fishing is largely a waste of time (eg late February and a biting east wind.) to not fish when there's something to fish for.

Lake frozen, grab the sea-rods and head for the beach for cod.

Carp spawning, grab the fly-gear and head for a trout-fishery.

Rivers tearing through, now's the time to head for a commercial after a big stripey.

etc

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Bright sunshine, a dip in temperatures and an East wind was never a happy combination and I think you're going to have to accept that there are times when conditions conspire to turn the fish off the feed.

As to where and how to buy a bite when it's hard, it will depend on the water and the specific conditions present.

I used to fish a park pool where the only place to get bites on hard days was the 14 foot deep trough at the base of the dam. It was real Mr Crabtree fishing too because the number one bait in there was chease paste.

At other venues and in other conditions, what fish were feeding would be found in whichever pegs found you with the wind blowing straight in your face. Thats where all the food is going to end up and if the air temperature is warmer than the water temperature, it's also where the warmest water will be.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

" The bloke next to me was grumpy and arrogant " - for me that is one of the worst thing that could happend when fishing. If no one is catching anything a nice conversation or anything like this would brighten up a day at least.

" The bloke next to me was grumpy and arrogant " - for me that is one of the worst thing that could happend when fishing. If no one is catching anything a nice conversation or anything like this would brighten up a day at least.

Tell me about it, I had exactly the same thing this weekend.

(Only kidding Glyn ;):D )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music