Fish muncher

SPSwallow

Some time ago I saw a bloke catch a fish (not sure what type) from his boat on one of the Norfolk broads. He the killed it, gutted it and cooked it on his gas stove. I know most fresh water fish are actual edible, but is it legal?

Edited by SPSwallow

I'm not sure what status the Norfolk Broads have. Peter Waller may be able to answer this.

Otherwise, this is what I posted on an earlier topic:

"In England and Wales it is illegal to take any fish from any stillwater not connected to a river without the express permission of the owner of the fishing rights. To do so is a criminal offence under the Theft Act. Indeed, even fishing such a stillwater without permission of the owner is considered theft as you'd be "stealing" his fishing rights.

River and canal fish are considered wild creatures and therefore don't belong to anyone. Thus they can't strictly speaking be stolen. Having said that you can still steal the owner's fishing rights and therefore be prosecuted under the Theft Act if you fish such waters without permission, whether you take any fish or not. However these laws don't apply to tidal rivers or the extremely few waters that are designated public fisheries.

Additionally, both the owner of the fishing rights and/or the Environment Agency may impose size or bag limits. As far as I'm aware there are no such national EA limits. However there are local limits, especially for game fish. In each case it is a criminal offence to break any of these regulations, and in the case of breaking the owner's rules it's again treated as theft.

One final point. Whether or not there's a sign saying the fishery is private is irrelevant. With the very rare exception all non-tidal waters in England and Wales are private.

For further details see the excellent book "Angler's Law in England and Wales" by R.I.Millichamp.""

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Several clubs are now adding a rule about returning all fish, except a few small ones for use as livebait if you wish.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If he was on a boat on the main Broads system (being tidal) he was well within his rights to do so.

My family are all from the Northern Broads area of Norfolk, Martham, Somerton, Horsey and the local area. My Grandfather has told me many a story that throughout the Second World War and the ensuing rations, fish were taken on an almost daily basis. Pretty much exclusively Perch, Eels and Pike.

I believe it to be commonplace much before this time too. I have a couple of marshman diaries type books from the 20's and 30's that regularly mention the daily taking of these fish.

The Pike were only generally taken up to around 6 or 8lb's as the smaller fish were considered to have a slightly sweeter flesh. I personally believe that the extra amount of Jack Pike taken during wartime in this area could well of been an influencing factor as one of the reasons the Thurne system produced such large and record breaking Pike in the decades that followed the war.

If he was on a boat on the main Broads system (being tidal) he was well within his rights to do so.

My family are all from the Northern Broads area of Norfolk, Martham, Somerton, Horsey and the local area. My Grandfather has told me many a story that throughout the Second World War and the ensuing rations, fish were taken on an almost daily basis. Pretty much exclusively Perch, Eels and Pike.

I believe it to be commonplace much before this time too. I have a couple of marshman diaries type books from the 20's and 30's that regularly mention the daily taking of these fish.

The Pike were only generally taken up to around 6 or 8lb's as the smaller fish were considered to have a slightly sweeter flesh. I personally believe that the extra amount of Jack Pike taken during wartime in this area could well of been an influencing factor as one of the reasons the Thurne system produced such large and record breaking Pike in the decades that followed the war.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Pike

Nice made into a mousaline then quennneled and served poached with a lobster sauce

Perch are very tasty as are eels (smoked are the best)

Carp is reasonable, better if smoked

Tench Blaaaaaaa, just don't do it

Roach and Rudd dried and salted believe it or not are not bad, served as a snack to eat with beer

Bream, just don't do it terrible

Gudgen are good, dipped in flour and fried.

Cat fish steaks are unbelievably Good, firm flesh and very very tasty

Zander are fantastic better than Bass

Lamprey jelled is to die for

Smelt grilled is amazing

Bleak roe is a Secret Swedish delicacy, absolutely fantastic,

Just for the record before I get crucified, I lived in Latvia for seven years and Sweden for 2 years and have eaten the fish their were it is common practise.

I am sure this was common practise in the not to distant past in the UK!!

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

No crucifixion from me, you have made me hungry though!

I used to take and eat pike, zander and eel from the Norfolk drains, as did many others. You're right about zander, absolutely delicious. I'd love to be able to go fishing with some friends, catch a few zander and have a BBQ under the setting sun, but it's just too contentious now. Plus, as I said, clubs are starting to change their rules. On the KLAA waters in Norfolk, it used to say that you could take a couple of pike and zander up to 5lb each day. Now it says that all fish are to be returned. Ditto some of the Oxfordshire clubs.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I used to take and eat pike, zander and eel from the Norfolk drains, as did many others. You're right about zander, absolutely delicious. I'd love to be able to go fishing with some friends, catch a few zander and have a BBQ under the setting sun, but it's just too contentious now. Plus, as I said, clubs are starting to change their rules. On the KLAA waters in Norfolk, it used to say that you could take a couple of pike and zander up to 5lb each day. Now it says that all fish are to be returned.

Might be an idea if KLAA update their website then! :rolleyes:

Currently, it's possible that an 'on the bank' day ticket angler who doesn't get a visit from a bailiff (i.e. never gets to purchase said day ticket) will be (understandably) obeying rule 12:

'All Pike and Zander over 5lb must be returned to the water alive. A maximum of two Pike or Zander, which must be under 5 lbs, may be removed from any KLAA water on any one day. All other fish should be returned alive.'

I'm not a member yet Anderoo, but I believe you are? Might be worth drawing their attention to this? Incidentally I would actually love to redesign their website when I join, but how do you offer that as a rank outsider without putting noses out of joint (diplomacy not my strongest point)?

Geoff

I'd love to be able to go fishing with some friends, catch a few zander and have a BBQ under the setting sun, but it's just too contentious now.

Just head on over this way. It is still considered a fine way to end a day.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Might be an idea if KLAA update their website then! :rolleyes:

Currently, it's possible that an 'on the bank' day ticket angler who doesn't get a visit from a bailiff (i.e. never gets to purchase said day ticket) will be (understandably) obeying rule 12:

'All Pike and Zander over 5lb must be returned to the water alive. A maximum of two Pike or Zander, which must be under 5 lbs, may be removed from any KLAA water on any one day. All other fish should be returned alive.'

I'm not a member yet Anderoo, but I believe you are? Might be worth drawing their attention to this? Incidentally I would actually love to redesign their website when I join, but how do you offer that as a rank outsider without putting noses out of joint (diplomacy not my strongest point)?

Club websites - where to start! Worse than useless maps, old 'news', out of date information, most are terrible. I once offered to sort out a club's site for them (not KLAA) and it didn't go down too well...good luck if you try.

I'm not a member this year, I usually join in the winter for some zander fishing as you could only night fish if you had a season ticket, but this year they're doing an £8 weekly ticket allowing night fishing, so I'll do that instead.

By the way, the KLAA baliffs are some of the best I've ever known. They will check your tickets and make sure you know the rules, even if you're miles from anywhere, very unusual for a club. (I've been fishing club waters around Oxfordshire now for 3 seasons, and haven't had any ticket checked once, no exaggeration.) Nice blokes too, most of them. But you wouldn't want to be caught doing anything you shouldn't!

I'm not a member this year, I usually join in the winter for some zander fishing as you could only night fish if you had a season ticket, but this year they're doing an £8 weekly ticket allowing night fishing, so I'll do that instead.

Ahh, now I'm glad you mentioned that, my only reason for joining KLAA was for the night (or at least very early morning or in to the late evening) sessions. As I'm only up that way visiting family (although I do visit a lot, and will even more now we're in season!), the weekly ticket might be a better plan. Just searched old threads as I know you've mentioned the yearly ticket cost before...£36. Mmmm, decisions, decisions.

Glad to hear their baliffs are on the ball, that's no easy task with the amount of water they have to cover, well done to them!

Geoff