fish friendly landing nets

Peter M

What is this all about? some comercial fisharies are going to ban people if they don't have a fish friendly net. but there seems to be some confusion as to what is a fish friendly net. Appaently it is if the mesh is "scruchy". I predict that there will be a lot of unhappy anglers unless we can clear up the confusion as to what is to be allowed and what is not. Any thoughts? :confused:

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Peter, if thats the case then a large number of shops are going to be lumbered with nets they either can't shift or will have to be heavily discount to move them. They won't be allowed on the puddles so, in effect, they will be forced onto the rivers. And if they are bad for fish, well, why should the rivers have 'em?

I'm all for fish friendly products but I have to admit to mixed feelings on this one. Directly it doesn't effect me, I don't think, I don't have any scrunchy nets. But lots of anglers and lots of shops do.

What on earth is a"scrunchy" net? I thought a scrunchy was something you put in your hair!

I have been considering a new carp net but must admit to being a bit worried about wasting my money and buying the wrong type. Can anyone enlighten me? I suppose I'll end up paying £50:00 instead of nearer £20:00.

Joe Public lose out again!!!!!

As far as I'm aware it's only the nylon monofilament nets, whether "ghost" colour, plain black or whatever that won't be allowed on certain waters. I tried these a few years ago as they dry more quickly and have less smell, but wasn't happy with the rough finish and so dumped mine.

I doubt that the price of nets will go up as a result as from my time in the tackle trade I know this is an extremely competitive market.

What's more likely is that the price of the nylon nets will go down as they'll be harder to shift or have to be exported. It would be different if we all had to use a new material that wasn't currently available.

However it will probably mean that some fisheries won't allow the use of nylon nets and so more fish-friendly nets will be bought, either by anlers or the fisheries themselves.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, will you be supporting this new scheme on your water? If so, what will your policy on un-logoed nets be? I only ask this because as a fishery owner you might be able to put a perspective on the subject for our more recent members. Sorry if I'm putting you on a spot.

I'm going to speak to Bruno who not only advises me on fishery management but also I believe was involved with the testing of the nets.

However I don't think it's a major problem at Wingham. The Carp Lake contains just carp (plus the odd pike), and none of the carp anglers uses nylon landing nets.

The Coarse Lake is seldom fished. In fact 4 on 40 acres would be almost unheard of and you often have the water to yourself.

I ban keepnets except in matches anyway so that's not a problem. Even then I've got a number of keepnets I had made up in 100% soft carp sacking.

I think it's probably a major issue only on heavilly fished waters where the fish get repeatedly caught. However I'll make a final decision having spoken to Bruno.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest pholt_uk

Sorry for linking to other sites again but this page has a huge article aobut the net standard:

http://www.total-fishing.com/News.asp?Acti...F9EDE72BE7801AB

Basically the more I read about this the less worried I get. There's also a page on the Angling Foundations website that has a list of approved nets and none are more expensive because they are approved.

Paul

Is it possible that the manufactures of fishing nets will be prepared to kite mark exsisting nets that are owned by us trusting anglers who have already purchased good quality fish friendly nets from manufactures who only want to look after the safety and quality of our fish. I don't think so!!

After reading Des Taylors write up in this weeks A.T. Im no longer worried about it and as much as a care for fish welfair, it's not been 2 months since i baught a a new keep and landing net.

I aint parting with any more cash on nets for at least 10 years or so.

Cheers Mark

A fish is a fish is a fish no matter what size it is

its a well known ploy , you make something unusual or manufacture it from non standard materials ,you then influence others to using it by "backing" or "feebies" or "other" means (the royal standard is on "certain" motor mowers etc ,not that there any better than others but the others dont chuck a lorry load of freebies in the royal direction frequently) having gained a few notables on your side you can then have them quote that your nets are more "friendly" than the "others" and gain a march on the competitors who will then jump on the band wagon . when your market leadership is lost and the markup on your "exclusive" nets is lost, suddenly the "friendly" nets are now "unfriendly" and it all starts again :( whats it called ? its called "business" or more commonly "exploitation"

whats the comparison is it a knotted net is more friendly than a gaff it probably is is a mono net more friendly than a knotted net ? probably, is a limp net more friendly to a mono net maybe?, is a mono net more friendly than a gaff definatly ,is NOT going fishing more friendly than using a limp net? definatly, where does it stop?

[ 31. January 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson