Lure rod help

Gary_E

hi guys

just want to know your thoughts on the drennan series 7 spincast they came in 3 sizes

7ft - 1.25lb / 8ft - 1.75lb / 9ft - 2.25lb

im looking at casting upto 70g lures and seen as im new to lure fishing i was wondering if any of these are suitable all other spin/lure rods provide a casting weight in grams but drennan dont seem to any advice?

cheers gary

Hi Gary_E

Welcome to Anglers Net.

Sadly I can't be of much help as I use ABU rods for most of my lure work. But I do have several most excellent Drennan rods of which I am very pleased with both for their quality and action.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

70gm = about 2.5 ounces.

You should normally go for a T/C that matches the weight in ounces you will normally cast so that means going for a T/C of around 2.5-3.0 pounds.

A lighter rod will handle occasional casting of heavier weights but it will not be much fun for you and over time, will not be good for the rod.

The blank construction / rod action is at least as important and the through/slow action rods are not suited to lure angling. If you are new to lures, you might want to start with a medium action although once you get the hang of it, fast action will be better. Extra fast is better for some situations but in not really for the novice and certainly not good if you only have one lure rod.

This is what the various actions look like when a rod is held horizontally and loaded to its rated T/C.

rod-action.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

One other thought occurs. "Spincast" is a US term for rods designed to use spincast reels which are somewhat similar to open faced reels but mount like a multplier and are not suited for use with fixed spool reels.

I'm not familiar with Drennan rods at all and not sure the term Spincast is being used in the US sense but you need to make sure you are using a rod designed for the style reel you will be using. Rod blanks have a natural spine (direction they are designed to curve) due to the way they are made and a properly designed casting rod will have the rings mounted on the top (away from the curve) of the blank while fixed spool rings will be mounted on the bottom.

rod-rings-2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Drennan's decision to market lure rods with test curves rather than casting weights should sound a note of warning, indicating that they may not know much about lure rod design.

Using the word "Spincast" in their description of what is not a rod designed for use with a spincast reel (it's designed for fixed spol use) should do the same.

That said, I did find one advertiser selling the heavier of these rods as suitable for casting 20 - 80g, buthow accurate that rating is I have no idea.

One final word of caution: Trying to cast 70g lure repeatedly with a 9' rod is going to get very tiring. Personally, I'd be looking for something shoeter.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I use a 7ft spincast and they can be used with either fixed spool or small multipier reels.

The 1.75 8 ft test curve should do the job as you say upto 70grams which is just over 2 oz

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Drennan's decision to market lure rods with test curves rather than casting weights should sound a note of warning, indicating that they may not know much about lure rod design.

Using the word "Spincast" in their description of what is not a rod designed for use with a spincast reel (it's designed for fixed spol use) should do the same.

That said, I did find one advertiser selling the heavier of these rods as suitable for casting 20 - 80g, buthow accurate that rating is I have no idea.

One final word of caution: Trying to cast 70g lure repeatedly with a 9' rod is going to get very tiring. Personally, I'd be looking for something shoeter.

ROFL -

May not know much about lure rod design
- Drennan make very very good rods at sensible prices

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

thanks for the replys i wont be casting 70g all day my way of thinking is if i get a rod that can cope with 70g then i have a good scope of using upto most lures i have are fairly small but i fish with a friend of mine (the only time we get together is on the bank) and he suggested upto 70g as we use each others lures then my rod could cope with some of his bigger lures if needed

hi guys

just want to know your thoughts on the drennan series 7 spincast they came in 3 sizes

7ft - 1.25lb / 8ft - 1.75lb / 9ft - 2.25lb

im looking at casting upto 70g lures and seen as im new to lure fishing i was wondering if any of these are suitable all other spin/lure rods provide a casting weight in grams but drennan dont seem to any advice?

cheers gary

I would avoid the Drennan series lure rod they have a nasty habit of snapping the tip off under load of casting.

Have a look at the Savage Gear rods, very good rod for a reasonable price,try matching your rod to the lures you will use, no point having a rod rated to deal with 60-70 grms if the lure you have are

20-30 grms or less you will soon tire your self out and will have problems presenting the lures correctly and ultimately catch rates will stay low and you will get bored with lure fishing.that go's for the line you use as well be it braid or mono. use braid you will feel every pulse of the lure.

i'd go for a rod rated to 30- 60grms covers most good proven lures on sell at the moment.

P.S. don't get fooled by the "fashion" of big lures you'll be surprised by what you catch on more moderate sized lures unless you plan on fishing lochs or something like windermere

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

I would avoid the Drennan series lure rod they have a nasty habit of snapping the tip off under load of casting.

Have a look at the Savage Gear rods, very good rod for a reasonable price,try matching your rod to the lures you will use, no point having a rod rated to deal with 60-70 grms if the lure you have are

20-30 grms or less you will soon tire your self out and will have problems presenting the lures correctly and ultimately catch rates will stay low and you will get bored with lure fishing.that go's for the line you use as well be it braid or mono. use braid you will feel every pulse of the lure.

i'd go for a rod rated to 30- 60grms covers most good proven lures on sell at the moment.

P.S. don't get fooled by the "fashion" of big lures you'll be surprised by what you catch on more moderate sized lures unless you plan on fishing lochs or something like windermere

I go along with the idea of light lures as I believe you can often tempt a fish with a quick nibble but are less likely to tempt them with a large snack after all they may have just eaten.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God