bite alarms

Peter M

I was fishing the other evening and carp were coming in to the margin very close mopping up bait. I put the rig right in the margin and sat back. I started to get half takes the alarm would sound the bobbin move up half way then nothing. After a few of these I decided to switch the alarm off. After I did this I had three solid runs, two came off in the lilies, one carp was landed at 8 and a half pounds. I am wondering was the alarm putting them off, I know that sound travels further underwater and any way the fish were very close to the rod and alarm. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I was fishing the other evening and carp were coming in to the margin very close mopping up bait. I put the rig right in the margin and sat back. I started to get half takes the alarm would sound the bobbin move up half way then nothing. After a few of these I decided to switch the alarm off. After I did this I had three solid runs, two came off in the lilies, one carp was landed at 8 and a half pounds. I am wondering was the alarm putting them off, I know that sound travels further underwater and any way the fish were very close to the rod and alarm. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think we have had this debate before :lol:

I am of the thought that the sound from alarms is 'Telegraphed' down the line - Simple solution turn sound right down (also has the benefit that no one else can hear it) or us a sounder box / remote withe the sound on the alarms turned completly off.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I think we have had this debate before :lol:

I am of the thought that the sound from alarms is 'Telegraphed' down the line - Simple solution turn sound right down (also has the benefit that no one else can hear it) or us a sounder box / remote withe the sound on the alarms turned completly off.

Now that sounds quite an interesting answer although I would have thought more likely the anglers sudden movement towards the rod ( perhaps a heavy footfall) or the particular vibration of the sound being transmitted downwards through the rod rests into the ground setting up a series of sound waves which are then transmitted/carried through the water. The easiest answer must surely be to see if the line carries the vibration through water - I don't see why not.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

This is one reason why I chose the gardner att,s alarms as they make no noise from the alarm heads themselves only through the receiver.

It also means they have no knobs switches etc for water too get in.

John

It might do in the margins but as mentioned it's more likely to be the heavy running and noise made the angler makes consequently to the noise, half the time i lunge for the rod when it screams off and many a time i have fallen over! :lol:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Simple answer Peter IMO YES! I never use an alarm if fishing under the rod tip.

thanks i will just leave it switched off from now on. i probably switch it on out of habit and mostly i am only fishing one rod on this lake any way as there is not room to fish two in a lot of swims so i am watching it all the time. thanks all.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

As far as I can remember this question came to the fore when Optonics were introduced. I may be wrong and the BJ alarm started it. However the field was split between the two types. I went down the road of the extension cable. Stuck with this for years. I have since changed preferring the self contained head type, no trailing wires. I cant say I noticed any drop off in runs.

If one thinks about how they work.... the alarm sounds this is transfered to the casing then to the internal plastic separating panels through to the wheel. The vibration then enters the line which goes through the rings and so in to the water, ending up at the hook not forgetting the hanger. Seems to me there are so many points that dampen the vibration. So is the vibration strong enough to reach the hook.

Caught many, many fish under the rod top, Carp,roach,tench,etc and never noticed any problem with alarms, used several different makes over many, many years.

"Clutching at straws" comes to mind :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic