rivers or commercials

johnny5

At the end of the day, fishing is for fun and you should fish where you have fun. I certainly do.

On the other hand, if you have never fished a wild water or even a fairly tame river, you might want to give it a try. Usually a very different experience than a still water of any sort and who knows, you might like it.

Just be glad you aren't forced to the extreme that many anglers in Japan have to face. Too little water. Too many folks. Too much money for decent venues. So ... they have built concrete ponds and enclosed them in buildings. You fish from a bench near the water's edge.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mat Hillman:

Well I for one simply just enjoy fishing,  I fish rivers, club waters and "commercials"

I feel theres nothing wrong with a WELL RUN commercial fishery,  on the other hand I do not enjoy the "moon crater" or "hole in the ground" type fishery,  theres more to a good fishery than a hole full of water and fish !

Venues like Old Bury Hill and Tingrith show how a fishery can be run commercially and still be pleasing to the eye and interesting to fish.  I'm not going to name any bad ones as I don't want my post deleted    :D  

Mat

Yes, of course you are right. I took it by the nature of the post, that the commercial bit referred to the over stocked mud hole.

Yes, there are some very well looked after commercial fisheries, but not many.

Newt:

Just be glad you aren't forced to the extreme that many anglers in Japan have to face.  Too little water.  Too many folks.  Too much money for decent venues.  So ... they have built concrete ponds and enclosed them in buildings.  You fish from a bench near the water's edge.

Shhhhhh Don't go giving them ideas like that. :D

i fish two commercial fisheries and both contain good quality hard fighting fish all the wild life you expect to see around water and good safe surroundings to let my son do his own thing (talking to other anglers looking at wild life and just being by the water)i whould say that commercial fisheries are the way forward in this country and many more quality ones can only benifit the sport we as anglers decide where to fish and if somewhere is badly stocked or not well looked after i would not go there again and suspect 95% of all anglers would do the same so i cannot understand how these "bad commercials" still exist and where they get there funding from

I have to disagree with you there Nugg, because that's exactly what i do. If it's over fished or badly stocked so you don't catch much i don't bother going there again. Maybe the odd time i'll go back but most of the time i don't bother. :rolleyes:

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Rivers or not?

Whilst fishing at a local puddle (carp puddle at that) I was chatting to some of the older lads (prob'ly young men, as ya do. I was saddened by the revelation that they had only fished the two local lakes. Both very worthy fishing establishments. But they were totally ignorant of moving water. Very serious about watching the still float. They also had never used casters.

But they had used every flavour of boilie that you could think of.

Hmmm Clearly the credit card was the most essential piece of tackle for them.

I just contrast that with two lads I met on the local free stretch. About same age. Risking life and limb to get their float under the bridge into the pool behind. Just bread flake...loadsa laughs.

"Muddlin' along"