RIVERS vs CARP PUDDLES

gwatson

Having fished the River Soar in a match this Saturday i must say it was good to be stood beside a river, waders on trotting a stick float down a steady flow. What more could you want.

Even though the winning weight was just under three pounds, i enjoyed my 20 - 30 fish for 2lb 6oz much more than turning up parking behind where you fish, dropping you're line in what looks like our local swimming bath (without the lanes)and haulind pale, sad looking fish out, how natural is that. I can only see the good thing about these venues is the easy accesibility for the unfortunate less mobile people who enjoy the sport. Thumbs up for that

My friend in the next peg made me laugh loosing two barbel on the whip (gudgeon, gudgeon gudgeon, gudgeon, gudgeon, barbel, snap) and at the very end "fish on, snap, fish off" he cried. But he still managed to win.

RIVERS, great stuff.

Also cheers to the Long Eaton Victoria Angling Society for supplying such excellent correspondence for the match and the bailiff who was most helpfull.

Have a good un

GW

dropping you're line in what looks like our local swimming bath (without the lanes)and haulind pale, sad looking fish out, how natural is that.

Surely comments like this can be used by antis as fuel for their fire?

Fishing is fishing my friend and we need to support all aspects of the sport.

This takes the biscuit, the post was written in light hearted humour.

This is all starting to get to seriuos. It was a joke. What's with all this antis stuff, chill out.

I agree fishing is fishing but if you let the "antis" if thats what you call em spoil your fun, there's no point in taking part.

It was only a tongue in cheak post just to say i prefer fishing on rivers.

What i wrote wasn't meant to fuel the debate on banning fishing.

I enjoy running a local angling club you should hear what

a few of them have to say, some people do take things to serious.

Never mind, posting is getting very difficult without getting blamed for the downfall of angling. :D

Hope everyone who fished today had a good days fishing wherever you went.

Barnese:

Surely comments like this can be used by antis as fuel for their fire?

Having read his post with a touch of envy, I'd say the "anti's" had far more imflamatory material at their disposal to even warrant making a note of that comment

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

calm it down no disrespect meant i just thought that pale faced miserable fish approach was a bit much. I to prefer to fish rivers but am still contented to fish anywhere,so long as i am fishing..no harm meant by the last post!

As cranfield said, smiley.gif

pretty much gets your point across.

winking_face.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have to agree in general with this thread.

I only recently came back into fishing as my job just didn't give me the time to go. I hadn't fished in twenty years.

I went to a few of my old favourite haunts to look around to see what changes had taken place in that time. I live normally in Kent but just moved back to Surrey which was where I lived my earlier years.

The rivers I fished a lot are now sadly neglected. One, the river Wey near Ripley has banks completely overgrown with nettles and brambles. It's a real fight to get to any swim.

The river itself has fallen trees in it, some having been there for some time with all sorts of debris blocking the flow. There is just the odd swim accessable and this water is jointly maintained by the Woking angling Assoc and the Byfleet Angling Assoc. The same was found by me at a little stream called the Bourne in which I used to catch beautiful chub and was also full of great little shoals of dace and roach with the occasional small barbel too. It is now choked with weed and litter and again, the banks are overgrown.

I can only surmise that the rise in large carp fisheries are taking the revenue that used to be put into maintaining these excellent rivers by clubs because the carp fishing holds the greater interest these days.

Saying that, the Thames still produces excellent fish down it's whole length.

As does the Wey Navigation and Basingstoke Canal, all of which are carefully maintained.