what float?

sparrowhawk

Polaris may last a season with mono but if you use braid then you'll be lucky to get through 1 session. I hope the manufacturers read this board because to me this is a design fault and unacceptable.

A tougher material used in the construction of the locking didly do may mean an increase in price but probably worth paying for longevity.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

John S:

I've won more than enough Polaris floats from Angling Times

Me too! I only use them occasionally (mainly for gravel pit tenching) so regard them as expendable, because yes, the line does cut a groove in the plastic, especially if the float slides along the line under tension - like playing a big fish through weed . In the unlikely event of my running out of these floats I would make my own lock sliders - Alan Fawcett suggested an easy method of doing so on a similar thread a month or so back.

[ 10. July 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

O.K.

I take your point, but I think your missing mine, say for instance that you had just the very idea for this adaptor thingy, you have to spend the time and effort to make it, test it, and trust it. The material you use may have to be found and purchased, more time and effort, and then if you were successful, you may wish to market it, more time and effort, plus more cost, which you would, I believe wish to re-coupe.

So we now have done all this and have the little gizzmo in our hand, how much different would be the cost of this little critter, in comparison to the full blown article be, not a lot I would wager.

Don't get me wrong I make a lot of my own gear which compares very favourable with manufactured bits and bobbs, but what I look at before embarking on a prodject is, the availability of the item, how much better, how much time would it be likely to take and how much would I be likley to save.

Therefore even if I bought two polaris floats a season, I would not save a lot money-wise, as for time and effort, who knows.

It may only take a little addition to the original idea, in which case I unreservedly wish you the very best of luck, and hope that you might be succesful with it, but please have regard to what I said above.

I remember a conversation between Gordon Scott and Alan Pearce about such things. In brief Gordon commented about the £5 (approx) cost of the two pack of leger indicators that Alan was involved in.

The answer Alan gave was the high cost of actually getting the indicators to the public, I think he funded all stages from design to distribution. So the cost was that much higher, this is where I think the large tackle Co's come into it..they are already set-up with most of the procedures to handles this.

One more thing, whats the odds that a new "slider/depthfinder" attachment will be available by the start of the 2004/2005 season?..or sooner?.. That sort of thing has already happened on Anglers Net.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Nugg:

O.K.

I take your point, but I think your missing mine

No, I actually agree with you ! I make many of my own floats, just because I like making them on cold wet winter evenings when I am not daft enough to go beach fishing!

Likewise I tie my own flies, and my own rigs, and renovate my own rods (don't build any more as I have enough).

However, I am inconsistent re this - if I reach a situation where I actually need some flies or floats I haven't got, and a fishing trip is looming, I buy the flies and go fishing with them, rather than sit at home tying them!

As far as cost is concerned, I would agree you save very little in making your own - if you costed your time in, you would be, on paper, losing money.

I only make my own gear if I have the time to spare, and because I like to catch fish on sommat I made myself.... and sometimes, just sometimes, you can actually make something that is better than the manufactured article.

RNLI Governor

quote:

Originally posted by Vagabond:

I only make my own gear if I have the time to spare, and because I like to catch fish on sommat I made myself.... and sometimes, just sometimes, you can actually make something that is better than the manufactured article. [/QB]

Yep, I very much agree with you there, but as with a tried and tested item like the Polaris at £2.50 I wouldn't bother.

I was just about to buy one to use as a slider float, maybe with a paternoster, 'cos I get fed up with the slider knots not running easily through the rather small top ring in my float rod. Then I noticed that it says they are for use in 4-8 feet of water (withthe bigger one). Do they still work in say, 12 feet of water?

john clarke

Have used Polaris in gravel pit swims where the depth is variable up to 18 ft. They work OK - ie have caught decent fish on them. Main snag is the grooving of the plastic thingy by the line if you have to drag a fish through weed.

RNLI Governor