the mystery of the dendrobaena...ohh err

wunnus

I was shovelling bait stuff off the shelf in my local tackle shop, as fast as the budget would allow (as ya do). Most of it ends up in mygroundbait bin.

I stick pretty solidly to the worm, bread, maggot, luncheon meat and corn as my main stay. You know the really sorta adventurous sort chap I am (he who dares is usually worth watching to see if it works).

Well this pot of dendrobwhatever looked suspiciously like over priced worms.

When I got them to the waters edge they really appeared to be pricey but smelly worms. I was hoping great things.

Well on a simple rectangle tank of a fishing lake the tench were certainly interested but the usually dependable small carp were strangely absent.

Then on a just about flowing river peg I got a good first pull from the perch and then nothing...?

To just check things out I followed up with real worm (I believe this is what scientists refer to as a control...techy bit there) and normal service was resumed.

Has anyoneelse been experimenting with these smelly worms?

Am I supposed to wash 'em?

Or are they specially bred for hair rigging?

"Muddlin' along"

have used them in the past, but with no great results. Infact fished them on the Nidd at Wilstrop hall, couldn't get a touch on the Den but a bite a chuck on the lobby. However, I have done fairly well with the tench on them at most waters ..

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

as far as I am aware there a 3 diffrent types of common garden worm..The lobworm(really big ones found on the lawn after it has rained),dendrobaena(the medium sized worms) and redworm(the smaller ones in compost heaps).I cant see where they seem to be going wrong as if I the basis of my knowledge is correct,they are just worms!However worms do tend to go very smelly if they are left for a certain period of time without fod or fresh oxygen,this could explain the situation if you bought them from a shelf in your tackle shop.

Dendrobes contain a foul smelling yellow liquid, very similar looking to pus. These are excellent baits for coloured water fishing because the bitter odour helps attract fish when the fish can't actually see them.

I use them often when the local River is in spate. I,m usually after Brownies when I use them but they wouldn't be my first choice in clear water. I prefer to use Maggots when the colour allows for them.

I imagine fish like Chub, which have similar habits to Trout, would find them particularly tasty. I reckon a couple on a hook with a nice red maggot would attract Bream. I,m sure any fish would have a go if given the opportunity, at the right time.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're Dutch, but the most commonly used worm by British anglers because they're so lively and last well.

I've used them a bit recently, and had a couple of chub, including my pb at 6lb 9oz. But it's intersting i've never had even a small perch - though checking through some magazine articles, one writer says dens are his best winter bait for perch.

I think the experience on this thread will push me back a bit to lobs.

john clarke

For the record there are 17 species of worms that inhabit UK soils many of which have very similar appearances. They each have their own habitat and ecotone where they live.

There are 4 species best known to anglers Lobs, dendras, bradlings and redworms.

Lobs are deep earthworms, Dendras are medium depth worms and need a very specific food source, can’t just think what it is at the moment. Bradlings and/or tiger worms live in the damp surface layer love old carpets, leaflitter, compost heaps, etc. If you into composting, these are the best worms for it. 1000 worms can eat their way through 2K of organic waste a week. They also ooze the yellow secretion when a hook is place in them. Redworms are found in well rotted manure heaps and very wet place. Seldom do they grow bigger than 1.5 inches long. If your sold worms longer than these they probably are not true reds but immature bradlings.

If you wish to know more about worms do a search on worms and composting, you’ll be surprised how much info is contained on these sites about worms and how to keep them.

Alternatively, keep an eye out towards the end of the year for a book by my mate George Pilkington on worms. George is one of the leading experts on worms in this country. I’ve read several chapters of this forthcoming book and its very readable, informative and at a level of the average gardener or would be composter.

phil h.

I must admit that the large meaty lobs are my fav'. In fact any worm I can get my hands on in the garden is my fav'. But when the top dries out I sometimes resort to the tackle shop supplies.

I can buy dendr' sized worms locally but they are just described as "large worm" and they are cheaper.

The dendr' worms dont really clean up much in a tub of moss, compost and soil. They have a persisitent odour but they appear healthy.

... I wondered if they had been specially fed to add a sales gimmick?

"Muddlin' along"

Several years ago I was travelling through Alabama and passed a bait shop. I called in to take a butchers. They had the usual bait to be found in a US bait shop (minnows, shiners, meal worms, crickets, nightcrawlers and spikes). They also had cartons of "Alabama jumpers". I asked what they were and the owner took the top off a carton and pored about 2 dozen worms on to the counter top. They didn't do much so the owner said "touch one". I did and the worm jumped straight up about 2" just like a coiled spring. I jumped back as if it was a snake and the owner laughed. Needless to say I bought a couple of cartons and went fishing with them when I got home to By God West Virginia. Setting up I anticipated catching monster fish that couldn't resist the action when they touched the worm. After managing to grab one of these action worms I put it on the hook ready to cast. I decided to give it a little touch to see how it wiggled on the hook. It didn't move! After several more pokes it still had not moved. I tried several more with the same result. As soon as a hook was shoved in 'em they gave up the ghost. I fished with my dead worms and managed to catch a few bluegill but nothing out of the ordinary. This is another example of tackle made to attract the angler and not the fish.

Hillbilly.