digital scales

Jim Gibbinson

News to me Jim, but having just looked at this page - http://www.avonscale.co.uk/servicesrepairs.html - I'm tempted to send mine for a service :oB)

Yeh I may drop mine in in person :D

Actually just phoned them and they say website is fine, so no probs there. The CS model goes for around £120 but they did say they weren't really targetted at anglers any more, just for general weighing. I did mention that I reckoned there was a gap in the market for a high quality compact dial scale weighing up to around 60lbs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't seem to have a lot of luck with the electronic things (cameras, phones, thermometers....) that come fishing with me. So as the pair of dial scales i use now and have for the last ten year still work fine and i don't have to pay for batteries, why (even if my dial scales stopped working tomorrow) would i consider buying digital scales? Do they have any advantages?

lutra, when you ask about the advantages of a digital scale I would have to say that in the case of most of them the only advantage is the compactness. In the case of the ones I ranted on about they have an accuracy advantage when you are weighing small fish if that is important to you as they give you the fractions of an ounce as well. I used various small weights to test the accuracy of mine and they were very good indeed. Most decent digitals also have a function that allows easy zero of the sling before placing the fish in it and for multiple catches they also have an accumulative weight feature in the memory. Mine come in a waterproof pouch with a seperate compartment for the spare battery which is only about the size of a £1 coin. They are very compact and light weight. I guess they don't improve your fishing experience as much as swapping an old rod, reel and line for some modern stuff but nevertheless a good move.

I use both, but only because my digitals only weigh up to 17.5kg. I paid £140 for the digis about 15 years ago and provided you wait for a few seconds for them to "settle" they give a good steady readout. When I use the dial scales I find it almost impossible to get a clear reading as the needle quivers about a half pound either way. If I hang a weight on a tripod, they both give a constant reading, but with a fish wriggling about I am happier with the digis.

I used to check my digis regularly against Supermarket scales.............always been spot on.

"Idiots guide to checking scales".............. easy to do, go to supermarket, pick up a bag of spuds, put them on the scales,write down weight on a piece of paper. Pay for spuds, take them home, and check the weight against your scales in your own at home.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic